Clustering shares resources?

if you are wanting to split several VMs between nodes thats what clustering is for.

If you are wanting to split a single VM to run accross several nodes - you cannot do this with proxmox.

Can you provide more information for what you are wanting to do?

thats correct - although to migrate them if you are using local hard disks will have to be done with the container powered off.

thats correct - although to migrate them if you are using local hard disks will have to be done with the container powered off.

This is only correct for KVM containers, OpenVZ can be moved to different machines with local storage while running.

No, you can do "live migration". Right click on the VM and select Migrate. Then you select the correct target host (and check "Online migration")

No, you can do "live migration". Right click on the VM and select Migrate. Then you select the correct target host (and check "Online migration")

That is certainly correct when shared storage is used (iSCSI or NFS), but unless I am mistaken block device migration has not yet been implemented in Proxmox and therefore online migration would not work for *local* storage.

I do not use shared storage either. VMs are on the local storage and they can be live migrated without problems. There may be a part of a second when the final switch is done but my ssh connections persist during this switch.

As far as I know there is done a snapshot in background, then the snapshot is copied to the other server. The latest changes are synchronized by rsync after that and then the switch is done.

1.jpg
weekly_ and daily_ storage is on a NFS share but the VM are on the local storage.

Last edited:
I do not use shared storage either. VMs are on the local storage and they can be live migrated without problems. There may be a part of a second when the final switch is done but my ssh connections persist during this switch.

As far as I know there is done a snapshot in background, then the snapshot is copied to the other server. The latest changes are synchronized by rsync after that and then the switch is done.

These are OpenVZ containers, not KVM VMs :) See my previous answer.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!