Cluster Node Replacement

frankz

Nov 16, 2020
Hello everyone, I should replace a node that is part of a cluster of 3 servers. The node has as its host name pve3, in the past I have made replacements but with different names as I have always feared that in the release phase it remains in the configurations that refer to that node or can I safely give it the same host name back? Thank you

Hi,

is your cluster running Ceph? if yes, then it might gets a bit more complicated :).

If you are not using Ceph: Have you removed the old node via pvecm delnode [nodename]? You should be able to add a node with the same name then.

Hi,

is your cluster running Ceph? if yes, then it might gets a bit more complicated :).

If you are not using Ceph: Have you removed the old node via pvecm delnode [nodename]? You should be able to add a node with the same name then.
First of all thank you for answering no I do not use Ceph I use the standard configuration in NFS and ZFS I was just asking to be sure if removing with the procedure mentioned in the official documentation if I credit the node with the same name may occur conflicts due to files maybe left somewhere in the system. I am writing this to you because some time ago I read a documentation or mostly a Fac of some users complaining about dirty files in the system

If you wan't to make sure nothing is left you can delete from /etv/pve/priv/known_hosts and /etc/pve/piv/authorized_keys the entries of the old host. You can also remove the folder in /etc/pve/nodes/<nodename>. But that shouldn't be strictly necessary.

Reactions: frankz

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!