Cloning VM (Backup/Restore). IP problems

nuglam

May 24, 2012
Hello guys!!!

I'm new in proxmox and need your help.

I have done a backup of a VM (vzdump), then move the file to a new physical server and restore (qmrestore) it. Then I start the VM. Everything fine until here. Now I want to ssh to the VM but the IP doesn't respond.
If I do a qm list the VM is running.

The IP host machine is: 80.253.xxx.xxx
The VM IP is: 78.46.xxx.xxx
Maybe is because are in different networks?

Should I change anything in the config file? I have read you have to change the MAC address and the VLAN0, but I have done it with not success.
I don't know how to change the VM IP if i can't login into the VM

Please help, I don't know what to do.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
hi,
if you need to change the not workin gip address you can,
from the pve gui, use its console to reach the vm, log in, change the ip address if not suitable, restat networking or the whole vm.
nobody else can tell you if you should change it, it depends on your network/hosts/applications/firewalls configuration.
of course you should be able to reach that network before you can ssh into it from another workstation...

Marco

Hi,
I also need to change some VMs' IP addresses and I"m logged into the Proxmox node and the VMs, but there's only an option to change the Proxmox node's IP address.
There is no option to change the VMs' IP address?

I managed to change the IP address of one of the VMs by logging into the IP address which has its own GUI to allow me to change Elastix's IP address, but it does not carry through into Proxmox, as now my ATA can't connect to login server (Elastix).

Any help appreciated.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!