Gopher

Jan 6, 2020
New to Linux so forgive my ignorance about anything. Hoping to switch off of HyperV. I setup a single 120GB SSD non-UEFI computer with the storage defaults (Not ZFS). I customized a great many things and then used a HDD duplicator to clone to a 250GB destination disk. To my surprise the cloned 250GB disk boots as follows:

error : file "/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod" not found grub rescue >

Doing the clone via Acronis backup wouldn't boot either nor creating an Acronis image file and restoring from that.

Then I found this Proxmox wiki article: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure

"vgscan" returned
Reading all the physical volumes. Found volume group "pve" using metadata type lvm2.

"vgchange -ay" returned
usr/sbin/thin_check: execvp failed: No such file or directory WARNING: Check is skipped, please install the recommended missing binary usr/sbin/thin_check! 3 logical volume(s) in the group "pve" now active

I proceeded with the instructed commands to fix grub on the chance that binary isn't needed.
mkdir /media/RESCUE (executes fine) mount /dev/pve/root /media/RESCUE/ (executes fine) mount /dev/sda1 /media/RESCUE/boot (returns mount point does not exist) mount -t proc proc /media/RESCUE/proc (mount point does not exist) mount -t sysfs sys /media/RESCUE/sys (mount point does not exist) mount -o bind /dev /media/RESCUE/dev (mount point does not exist)

Please clarify or provided updated GRUB instructions that apply to PVE 6.1-2 ??

Extra details that may not be necessary…

On the premise that the thin_check binary is necessary to recover GRUB I also attempted with the
debian-live ISO as suggested in the article. I used the latest 10.3.0. vgscan or vgchange don't appear to be loaded in the live media since it returns "command not found" for both.

Curious, I still checked to see if the Debian live environment had the usr/sbin/thin_check binary. It doesn't. However, it does have the thin-provisioning-tools_0.7.6-2.1_amd64.deb package located at run/live/medium/pool/main/t/thin-provisioning-tools/

The package doesn't install though for lack of the libaio1 package and extracting all of its usr/sbin files like thin_check doesn't help anyways

Bugzilla has a thread for users of REAR with a comment that details how their media was omitting the necessary thing provisioning binaries and symlinks and what they did to fix it here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1450667#c4

Why not quickly re-install Proxmox VE on the 250 GB disk and copy the config files over?

Instead, I just switched to a different distro. No more cloning problems.

Docker was installed on the root volume for performance needs. Setting all of the docker stuff back up is not fun.

I'll keep subscribed to this thread and reconsider Proxmox in the future should you guys provide clear instructions to allow disk to disk cloning, or at least recover Grub from the disk to disk cloning problem.

As you wrote that you are new to Linux, the easiest solution was posted from Alwin.

And do not blame us if your commercial clone tool does not work, open a case there so they can improve their toolset.

But you will find countless howto in this forum and also on other places, so just try to get your issues fixed.

Reactions: Mace68

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!