Cloning a template to another host in the cluster

proxwolfe

Jun 20, 2020
So I have my first cluster set up and working as expected (I guess).

But I ran into the following problem the other day: I created a VM on one of the nodes and turned it into a template (as it took quite long to create and I will need more of the same). I then cloned it into a VM on the same host. That worked.

But now I want to deploy another VM cloned from this template to another host. I was quite happy to find that in the dialogue for cloning the template, I am offered the choice to clone it to the other hosts in the cluster (there is a drop down menu with all nodes in the cluster). However, if I actually choose another host, the target field turns red and the "clone" button is greyed out. So I really only can clone to the same host the template resides on.

What gives? If it is not intended to clone to another host, why offer the choice? If it is intended, why is it not working?

Appreciate any thoughts!

You have a full cluster including Ceph or a pool wide shared storage? Or is it a PVE pool with local storages per host?

You have a full cluster including Ceph or a pool wide shared storage? Or is it a PVE pool with local storages per host?
The cluster does not comprise Ceph (I am working on it but it is not fully implemented yet). The storage is local per host (but I am easily able to migrate an existing vm from one host to another).

this is why it takes longer to clone a template to another host. the data is really transferred between the hosts/storages then.
btw. you can't create a linked clone, only full clone in your storage setup.

well, it does not take longer, it does not allow me to clone to another host at all.

What I did as a workaround was to clone to the same host and migrate the new clone afterwards to the designated host. That did take long. And that's expected.

But why can't I directly clone (full or linked) to another cluster host?

ah, yes, right. if i remember correctly, migration between local storages was implemented in PVE6.2, but i don't know, if it was also implemented into the cloning process.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!