Clone the boot SSD in cluster mode

dorinxev

Apr 3, 2019
Hi,
I've seen few threads about cloning the boot disks to another disk/SSD, some used clonezilla (which, as of this moment, still having problems cloning the Proxmox boot SSD), some use dd.
My problem is a bit different: I have a cluster of 3 nodes (prox,prox2,prox3, I've created the cluster from prox2 and this node has a problematic SSD), and since this is a cluster, one cannot simply copy the /etc/pve since it comes from the other nodes.

So, what is the short and a simple way to replicate my SSD on this prox2 node? delete the node, install Proxmox on a new SSD and join it to the cluster? any other ideas?

I've created the cluster from prox2
it doesnt matter, all nodes are equal
one cannot simply copy the /etc/pve since it comes from the other nodes
why cant you copy - aren't you using clonezilla as a boot source, so /etc/pve is empty due to cluster services not running. Its a special fuse filesystem and it wont be there. Just clone your disk and boot from it. If clone worked fine, then it should be completely transparent.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

I tried several times to clone the disk using Clonezilla, either disk to disk, disk to network and then to disk, In all cases it seems to perform syncing after cloning a section, and then it fails. I've also tried multiple SSD's, so it's not related to specific disk, that's why I thought about new node install and that's why I'm asking if I need to perform more steps..

I tried several times to clone the disk using Clonezilla, either disk to disk, disk to network and then to disk, In all cases it seems to perform syncing after cloning a section, and then it fails
I have never successfully cloned PVE boot disk with Clonezilla. However I've done it many times with DD. Just remove original disk & replace with newly cloned one BEFORE booting up. In your case, I'd shut the whole cluster down before booting anew.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!