[TUTORIAL] Clean Install Proxmox VE 8.1 - How I fixed: Webinterface not working (failed to use local certificate chain)

Starbase

Apr 13, 2024
While installing my first Proxmox VE hosts I chose to use the latest version on a Dell Wyse 5070 host. The installation process went completely fine. As hostname I provided "proxmoxtest". After removing the install medium and first start I tried to connect via https and port 8006 but nothing happens. I ensured, that the Port 8006 is opened but still wasn't able to access the GUI.

To check the status of service "pveproxy" I entered systemctl status pveproxy.

It showed me the error: /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem: failed to use local certificate chain (cert_file or cert) at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/APIServer/AnyEvent.pm line 2009. Therefore I checked two locations:

ls -l /etc/pve/priv
ls -l /etc/pve/local

The file "pve-root-ca.key" has a size of 0 bytes. "pve-ssl.key" looks valid but "pve-ssl.pem" is missing. What happened here? :mad:

The command pvecm updatecerts -f didn't worked because of missing/invalid files. So I re-created the required files and restarted the "pveproxy"-service.

openssl genrsa -out /etc/pve/priv/pve-root-ca.key 4096
openssl req -new -x509 -days 3650 -key pve-root-ca.key -out /etc/pve/pve-root-ca.pem -subj "/CN=Proxmox Virtual Environment Root CA/O=PVE Cluster Manager CA/"
openssl req -newkey rsa:4096 -nodes -x509 -days 365 -keyout /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key -out /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem -subj "/CN=$(hostname -f)"
systemctl restart pveproxy

After that it seems to be fixed :). But if such basic thing is somehow broken.... what else might didn't work while installing Proxmox 8.1? Hope such issues are not common for Proxmox. I plan to replace some VMware hypervisor in the future.

Chris

Last edited:
It is so strange, i installed on two machines, use same iso file. one had this problem another not.

Maybe the internet connection during installing, cause this problem

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!