Clean install OS start only with usb and grub rescue

Jacopo1891

Mar 23, 2022
Hello!
I did a clean install of the operating system but when I start the pc it can't find any bootable devices:

"no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key"

The system boots correctly only with the boot usb used for the installation and choosing "grub rescue".

Any ideas?

Attempts:
- Disabled uefi on boot
- Disabled secure boot options
- Install another parallel linux OS to manage boot (ubuntu installer do not see proxmox os)
- check bootable partition

Attachments

• Cattura.PNG
    Cattura.PNG
    29 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Reactions: Jacopo1891
I'm assuming you mean Proxmox VE and not another operating system inside a VM?
Hi avw! i mean i installed Proxmox on the pc after a full format.
The Proxmox installer only supports UEFI and not CSM (or legacy) boot mode.
I did the installation with this setting enabled and OS did not start, after that I tried to disable it but it still not work.

I don't understand if it's a grub problem or something else.

Last edited:
I think the issue is that the Proxmox installer creates a GPT on the drive. Systems that boot in UEFI mode and some systems that boot in CSM mode work fine. However, some older systems can only boot from a MBR, which is not supported by the Proxmox installer. There are some threads on this forum about converting GPT to MBR. Another work-around is to first install Debian GNU/Linux and then installing Proxmox from inside Debian.

Reactions: Jacopo1891
I've checked and there is a GPT partition.
To fix the problem i have to convert the GPT partition to MBR (or UEFI)?

I've tried to convert GPT partition to MBR but now it's GPT and "MBR protective".
It still not start without usb.

I do not undestand what i'm missing.

I solved with a bit of luck:
- I converted the boot partition from GPT to GPT + MBR protective
- I formatted it and launched some commando of the proxmox tool for boot management and I don't know which one solved the problem.

Code:
proxmox-boot-tool init / dev / sda2
proxmox-boot-tool refresh
proxmox-auto-removal
pve-efiboot-tool refresh

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!