ChromeOS SPICE client

flux68

May 10, 2020
Has anyone successfully setup a SPICE client on a Chromebook? I'm currently trying to run SPICE client on chromebook, however I'm not having much luck. Getting stuck on the websocket

Any one out there with info/how to?

TIA

Hi,

really interest by the that too.
I got remmina on the chromebook which work great for rdp
but i would like to remote connect to linux vm i thought spice would be good
So i tried with remmina and with the chrome extension that you linked and both doesn't work for me.
Did someone succeed ?
Thanks

OK, apologies for dragging up an older thread, but I found a solution for this and would like to share considering this a page one google search result

So, what I figured out over troubleshooting this, is due to how Crostini sets up the Linux container, the Linux apps you use, including virt-viewer/Remote Viewer, are NAT'd and can't resolve the hostname back to pve properly. If your Proxmox host is named pve, you can't ping it, but if you ping the FQDN, it will respond since it'll be "going up" a layer. The below allows the container to A) know where to find your proxmox host, and B) route the SPICE port, so the .vv files Proxmox offers won't need further adjustments.
  • On your Chromebook, enable the Linux (Beta), apt update/upgrade, etc.
  • Code:
    sudo apt install virt-viewer
  • edit the /etc/hosts file in the Linux container, add a line with the IP of your proxmox host and the hostname of the device, including one with the domain.
  • example:
    Code:
    192.168.1.20 pve pve.my.domain
  • Install https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...ilflinn?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-search
  • Once installed, open Connection Forwarder, ensure forwarding is enabled, and create a rule
  • Source Address: 0.0.0.0 (Anywhere) Source Port: 3128
  • Destination Address: 0.0.0.0 (Anywhere) Destination Port: 3128
  • Add Rule

I had to use Connection Forwarder this way to ensure the port that SPICE is using from Proxmox is routed properly to/from the Linux container. It's definitely not the most secure way to do this, but it works and the chances of it being abuse-able is hopefully quite low.

Once setup, when you load Proxmox from Chrome, the .vv file that it offers to connect to a VM should now be able to open in Remote Viewer. You can open Files to tell it to open in Remote Viewer by default.

I haven't perfected this setup, but it works. I've had Connection Forwarder fail to open, but it still seems to work. It's also a little annoying how long it takes to load the Remote Viewer, but it works, so fine, whatever.

Reactions: bobzer
Thanks you very much that helped me a lot.
Just to give updated info.
you don't need anymore the extension (you can forward from the chrome os settings)

installing the virt-viewer worked
and configure chromeos to open vv files by default with remote-viewer works great (also it seems that opening the port is not necessary anymore)
so now I got that working well.

but I still have a few problem :
- can't copy paste (even after installing spice-vdagent)
- when the vm go to sleep proxmox pause it, when I want to go back to it I got a black screen with "display is not active" if I send key promox resume it great but the display stay black didn't find a away to re-enable it
- remmina... it would be great to be able to use remmina much better than remote-viewer
- is it possible to auto adjust the resolution ?

thank you very much

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!