Chrome and ctrl-w

kolonuk

May 17, 2016
This might have been posted before, but I can't find anything on it (the forum search is shocking!)

I use nano quite a bit in linux guests, and to search the open file you press ctrl-w key combo and enter your search string.

It also transpires that ctrl-w is the built-in, hardcoded shortcut to close the current tab in Chrome. When in the middle of a complex maintenance operation, your tab with novnc open suddenly closes. Extremely annoying!

Now, I know that this isn't technically a Proxmox question, but in searching for a way to disable the crtl-w key combo in Chrome, I came across this: http://superuser.com/questions/569248/disable-hardwired-chrome-hot-key-ctrlw

Towards the bottom it details a Tampermonkey javascript script that captures and throws away the ctrl-w command, thus not closing the tab. I know nothing about Tampermonkey, but assume it just inserts code into web pages altering the way it looks and works...

Not sure how it works and what the implications are, but could this be inserted into Proxmox web environment somehow? Or does it need to be in the no-vnc code? Shall I just create a bug report? (not technically a bug...)

Anyone have any better ideas than that?

I do not have a real solution, but more problems:

One solution is to buy a Apple Computer. There you have CMD+W instead of CTRL+W which is really great for that. Unfortunately, you will not have any working function keys like F12 and therefore will not be able to enter the boot menu. For this and your problem, the qemu monitor console will help. You can use sendkey there.

I often close my VNC teminal windows if I want to delete the last word (emacs key binding) with CTRL+W on my shell, so I really understand your problem and "feel with you", yet I have no solution. For you nano problem, my answer as a decade-long vim user is to learn vim, there are no standard CTRL+something bindings available in stock vim.

So, your problem gets better (as in you can close your editor) but you will still have some glitches. Nowadays, I only use the build-in console for installation (if it is not already fully-automized) and then continue directly via SSH.

Sorry to be of no further help but I figured a companion in misfortune is better than no reply.

Yeah, wasn't really looking to shell out for a new laptop!

I do use ssh normally to do maintenance on my tablet, but sometimes it's quicker to log in to the web interface and do stuff there, especially if I've got some spare time at the two youth clubs I help out at and don't have my tablet or laptop with me...

I only use proxmox on my own toys (VMWare at work), so it's no biggie, just really really annoying!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!