Changing physical ip without web access?

Jan 26, 2011
So, my hardware vendor sent a proxmox box to my remote colo facility without setting the IP on my proxmox box first. Since this box will not have network access at first, I need to provide my "remote hands" service with instructions on how to properly set the ip in proxmox.

To have them change the IP, I'm assuming they would just edit /etc/network/interfaces and then restart the network ( /etc/init.d/networking restart )?

Sorry, I know this is a pretty basic question, but I couldn't find anything about it on the proxmox site and didn't know if the procedure was any different in proxmox than on a standard Debian box.

Thanks,

Curtis

So, my hardware vendor sent a proxmox box to my remote colo facility without setting the IP on my proxmox box first. Since this box will not have network access at first, I need to provide my "remote hands" service with instructions on how to properly set the ip in proxmox.

To have them change the IP, I'm assuming they would just edit /etc/network/interfaces and then restart the network ( /etc/init.d/networking restart )?

Sorry, I know this is a pretty basic question, but I couldn't find anything about it on the proxmox site and didn't know if the procedure was any different in proxmox than on a standard Debian box.

Thanks,

Curtis
Hi,
it can be happen that you must also change the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. Otherways your connected nic are perhaps not eth0.

Udo

Thanks for the tip. Also, after I restore network access to the machine, would it be necessary to set the IP again through the web interface so that proxmox is aware of the change (i.e. does proxmox uses a separate configuration file to store data for the web interface)?

Thanks for the tip. Also, after I restore network access to the machine, would it be necessary to set the IP again through the web interface so that proxmox is aware of the change (i.e. does proxmox uses a separate configuration file to store data for the web interface)?
No,
changing interfaces is enough. proxmox produce for changes the file interfaces.new, which activated (mv to interfaces) during reboot.

Udo

Hi,
it can be happen that you must also change the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. Otherways your connected nic are perhaps not eth0.

Udo

why bother? you set an IP to vmbr0, which you can bind to any interface, not necessarily eth0!

so the guys at the colo should first look at ifconfig -a to find interface names, then edit /etc/network/interfaces, configure vmbr0 and reboot the server.

Hi,
thats right!
But it can be even better to have on all machines the same network-config. With only one nic it's no problem, but with different nics (storage network, vlan-tagging...) it's make sense (i like to use the same rules (if possible)).

Udo

Of couse it's always better to have all the settings as similar as possible. But in the given situation, with remote staff not familiar with proxmox/debian it's probably easier to tell them how to configure vmbr0 over eth0, and then make them plug the ethernet cable consecutively into all NIC ports until the server starts to respond to pings :) On a fresh install I don't think there will be weird interface numbers anyway. The first port of the integrated NIC should be eth0.

isparks_curtis - proxmox takes the IP from /etc/network/interfaces, so changing that should be enough.

Thanks udo and jekader! You guys are great! And yes, it was a fresh/default install that my hardware vendor did, so it should be pretty straight forward. :)

Curtis

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!