Changing name of nodes in cluster

LogicalUnit

Nov 18, 2023
Hello, I have a little Proxmox cluster of two servers in my homelab. I would like to rename these nodes (currently "proxmox" and "joanine"). What is the correct way of doing this?

2023-11-18 15_25_07-proxmox - Proxmox Virtual Environment.png

I would like to rename these nodes (currently "proxmox" and "joanine"). What is the correct way of doing this?
Remove one from the cluster, then wipe it and reinstall a clean Proxmox with the new name and new IP-address, and add it to the cluster. Do the same for the other node. Please note that a two-node cluster does work when one of the nodes is missing if there is no Q-device (or third vote).

Thanks, it sounds like I cannot keep my current VMs/containers if I want to rename the host. Is that correct (must be "empty")?

Thanks, it sounds like I cannot keep my current VMs/containers if I want to rename the host. Is that correct (must be "empty")?
I don't fully understand the question. Nodes should be empty when adding to a cluster, but can't you migrate the VMs/CTs between the current nodes? And if you rename in-place, I don't see why. It's always wise to make backups of the VMs/CTs before making changed to the cluster (which you can restore later).

I should have attached a better image. I have two physical machines (nodes?) running Proxmox. They are already set up and have VMs/containers running on them. I would just like to change the names of the physical machines.
2023-11-20 21_17_46-proxmox - Proxmox Virtual Environment.png

I would just like to change the names of the physical machines.
See the wiki linked above:
This must be done on a empty node.
If your node is in a cluster, where it is not recommended changing its name
So you then have to remove all the VMs/LXCs on the node you want to rename.

I've also got a node where I would like to change the name but for me, it's not worth the hassle...so I just stick with the existing name.

Last edited:
What's all with the fuss changing name of a node in a cluster? I did not the first time and everything is working with no issue. Or am i missing something here? Would be happy to learn my mistake. So here is what i did:

My setup: 2 node cluster with a qdevice.

1. I migrated all the vm and lxc out of the node I want to rename (no backup no mercy)
2. ssh into the node i want to rename
3 updated /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname
4. updated /etc/pve/corosync.conf (do not foget to increment the version)
5. went to /etc/pve/nodes and deleted the old node name
6. updated ssh key pub
7. rebooted

I do not see any errors and cluster is fine. Mirgration works and everything.

NOTE: If you have replication setup the replication does not work anymore as it cannot find the old node anymore. So you have to recreate the replication with the new node name. In case you have replication setup, the old replication does not get deleted automatically (at least in my case). But you can delete it manually from /etc/pve/replication.cfg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!