Changes in menu.lst do not take effect

itnocprimary

Dec 25, 2009
I followed the instructions on http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Downloads to upgrade proxmox on one of our systems. Everything went smoothly, but, the changes in menu.lst do not seem to take effect as the new kernels are not shown in the menu when booting and it boots into the old kernel.

I'm working on a system which has RAID 10 on 6x1TB disks. Over this there is a LVM setup.

I re-checked the installation logs of the new kernel and there were no errors. I ran 'update-grub' and it selects all the kernels available in /boot. However, when I run 'grub-install' it throws the following error:
/dev/mapper/vg-root does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

I tried to do this from the grub command line:
grub> find /grub/stage1
find /grub/stage1
(hd0,0)
grub> find /grub/stage2
find /grub/stage2
(hd0,0)
grub> find /grub/menu.lst
find /grub/menu.lst
(hd0,0)
grub> root (hd0,0)
root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
setup (hd0)
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... failed (this is not fatal)
Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0,0)"... failed (this is not fatal)
Running "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) /grub/stage2 p /grub/menu.lst "... succeeded
Done.
grub> quit

However, it still doesn't work. The groot in menu.lst is shown as "groot=(hd0,0)" (used by update-grub) and the /boot is on LVM:
df /boot
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg-root 19223252 1140336 17106432 7% /

.. and the device.map file looks like:
(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sda

I'm not sure if this is related to the new installation or now, but, I'm running out of ideas. Any help on this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

But, 1.3 has been working on the same box since it was installed. We are facing this issue after trying to upgrade to 1.5

Any thoughts, what can be the next logical step ?

Thanks,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!