Change VM

anves

Jul 30, 2010
I want to change the host name and IP of a VM thats on the VPS - There is no way I can see doing so within Proxmox, so there must be a command to do so.

I appreciate your help

yes, the procedure is the same as if it was a physical machine, not a virtual one. Google it for your Os!
PS - for linux the hostname sits in /etc/hosts, the IP for debian/ubuntu is set in /etc/network/interfaces

That's only an option if venet network driver is used, and not veth.

Hi,
I'm using Proxmox pve-manager/2.1-14/f32f3f46 with Kernel version Linux 2.6.32-14-pve #1 SMP.

I just tried SSHing in the VM ID /etc/hosts and the file hosts doesn't show any name in there, only:
# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

I just tried SSHing in the VM ID /etc/network/interfaces and there's no network file or folder?

I then go into the Proxmox node, rather than the VMs as above.
SSHing in the Proxmox node to /etc/hosts and the file hosts doesn't show any name in there, only:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.130 proxmox.com proxmox pvelocalhost
# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

I just tried SSHing in the Prommox node /etc/network/interfaces and I don't see how I can change the ID or IP address of the VM with the follow code:
# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet manual
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.160
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.180
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

I can't change the VMs' ID as there's no option in the GUI neither?

I also can't delete some VMs I don't need.
I also can't migrate to another VM ID. Proxmox only migrates to other nodes and I only have 1.
I also can't backup. (I though I could then copy the backup from the old VM ID and paste into the new VM ID).

Help appreciated.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!