change postmaster address

haiberg

Renowned Member
Aug 9, 2007
Hello,
we have a rule action (Notify Sender), which inform the sender that the message could not be delivered.

The Postmaster always get this mailer-daemon message:

> This is the mail system at host proxmox.<internal-domain>.
> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
> For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.
> If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.
> The mail system
> <email address>: host mx0.gmx.net[213.165.64.100] said: 550 5.1.8
> Cannot resolve your domain {mx004} (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

The <internal-domain> is only for internal DNS server.
This email was send von postmaster@proxmox.<internal-domain>

How can i change the postmaster sender address? (e.g. postmaster@<external-domain>

Hello,
we have a rule action (Notify Sender), which inform the sender that the message could not be delivered.

The Postmaster always get this mailer-daemon message:

> This is the mail system at host proxmox.<internal-domain>.
> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
> For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.
> If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.
> The mail system
> <email address>: host mx0.gmx.net[213.165.64.100] said: 550 5.1.8
> Cannot resolve your domain {mx004} (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

The <internal-domain> is only for internal DNS server.
This email was send von postmaster@proxmox.<internal-domain>

How can i change the postmaster sender address? (e.g. postmaster@<external-domain>

configure a hostname/domain which is internal and external resolvable (via web interface).

Tom,

I've an issue like this one.

In the dns screen, I can not modify any field. I did not see another place where I can modify this.

How can I do to force the system mail coming from a valid domain ?

Thank for your help.

Do you run inside a container (OpenVZ)? If so, you need to change the DNS setting on the host side (container configuration).

That's somehow the problem, that the hostname set in PMG GUI is also used for postfix configuration and no extra external running domain is asked in the setup dialogue or can be set in the GUI. The only solution I could expect is to rewrite like here http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html#generic in main.cf.in (need to copy and adjust the templates as written in the manual, so should be the main.cf.in in /etc/pmg/templates and then synced)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!