change limits for unprivileged container

Alibek

Jan 13, 2017
How do change (persistent) limits (open files) for unprivileged containers?
Code:
root@container1:~# ulimit -n 65536
-bash: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
prlimit - not affected
changes in pvenode:/etc/security/limit.conf - not affected

This has yet to be added to lxc upstream (patches are already pending for this). For now the containers inherit their limits from the pvedaemon service (you could add a systemd unit snippet to bump the limit for all containers).

Reactions: Alibek
I previously used pct start nnn to start my LXC containers to get higher ulimit values for my processes.

Since I have installed the latest updates, this does not work any more.

What is the 'new/correct' way to set the ulimit values now?

Can anyone please advise me on this as I am running into issues with this.

If it is still to add a systemd code snippet as Wolfgang suggests above, can someone point me in the right direction with this as I am not familiar with systemd.

Thanks
Shaun

After more checks I see that if I use pct start nnn and then pct enter nnn then ulimit -a shows

open files (-n) 65536

However if I then start my process, and then check ulimit it shows that I am restricted to 4096 open files so how do I determine the ulimit setting for my process?

What is the correct value?

After more checks I see that if I use pct start nnn and then pct enter nnn then ulimit -a shows

open files (-n) 65536

However if I then start my process, and then check ulimit it shows that I am restricted to 4096 open files so how do I determine the ulimit setting for my process?

What is the correct value?

how do you start this process? note that the login shell started with "pct enter" is kind of special, so maybe try connecting via SSH and checking the limits there.

linux also has "process limits" in addition to the user/group limits. you can query (and set) those with "prlimit".

you could also try influencing the limits imposed by systemd, by putting a snippet into "/etc/systemd/system/lxc@.service.d/", with some of the LimitXYZ Directives as described in "man systemd.exec" and "man systemd.unit" - but I haven't tested that.

Hi Fabian,

I am using MongoDB with a 14.04 LXC CT.

This comes with a start/stop script that it installed. I tried using this script. If the CT is a privileged CT, then all works as expected. With unprivileged,the process always fails to start using these scripts.

I even commented out the ulimit settings in the start script, but this does not help.

Currently the only way I can get the MongoDB process to run in an unprivileged CT is to do the following:

pct start xxx
pct enter xxx
sudo su - mongodb
mongod -f config.cfg

Doing this gives the mongod process a ulimit of 65536 which allows it to run.

I will check to see what happens if I login via SSH and also try the other suggestions you make.

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!