Ceph on PVE5 test cluster dubts and problems

mmenaz

Renowned Member
Jun 25, 2009
Northern east Italy
Hi, I'm testing Proxmox 5 (latest updates) and it's Ceph (luminous).
I've 3 VM with Proxmox installed, 2 as storage with 32GB virtual disk each, and the 3° only with local storage as 3° monitor.
I've followed instructions on https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_Server and some googling around
I've the following questions/problems:
a) pveceph createosd is there a way to make it create a bluestore storage? I don't understand if is the default, with fdisk I find 2 partitions:
Code:
Device        Start      End  Sectors Size Type
/dev/sdb1  10487808 67108830 56621023  27G Ceph OSD
/dev/sdb2      2048 10487807 10485760   5G Ceph Journal
Is it bluestore? How can I tell?
b) being just a nenwbie of Ceph in proxmox, after ods and monitor creation, since I've only 2 nodes with ODS (1 in each of the 2 storage server only) and having not heatlhy status, I've issued
Code:
ceph osd pool set rbd size 2
and now status is ok, but free space is stated (ceph -s or proxmox gui) to be 55GB instead of 32.
My question is: what else should I do to have a "replica 2", a sort of raid1 between the 2 storage servers?
c) 3° node is monitor only, but I've read that monitor do heavy I/O too (really?), so I would like to know if, not having a ODS or other storage than local storage, is it writing to local storage (and how many GB do it needs then?) or is not functioning well or is writing through lan to the 2 storage nodes.
Thanks in advance :)
(BTW I'm trying to move away from drbd9 and the 2 storage, 3° quorum node that I had configured in the past, with a similar in term of costs, solution)

the gui does not create bluestore OSD, you can create bluestore OSD via CLI, packages and details for this will be available next week, when we publish the next round of packages.

for a stable setup, you need 3 nodes, 3 monitors and a replication of 3, minimum 2.

you will find a lot of information about ceph by reading the web and of course, this forum.

Reactions: Lky
CEPH will always show the available raw space, with a replication of 2 as you add 1GB it will show as 2GB on the used space via CEPH.

2 is not recommend for production, however fine if your using as a test / dev environment.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!