Ceph network configuration

Jun 20, 2023
Hi,

I want to implement ceph on my pve cluster. For ceph i provide 1 bond interface (2x10G) an 1 nic 10G. Do you have suggest the best network configuration for ceph public and ceph cluster?

Thanks

They can be on the same physical network and even the same IP subnet as well. It is no hard requirement to separate them. It is a possibility to spread the load.

Ideally, Ceph will be the only service using the physical network. Otherwise, you can easily run into the situation that multiple service fight over available bandwidth.

If you only use the bond or the single NIC as well, depends on your requirements regarding redundancy. In a production environment I would only use bonds so that the network will stay functional if one NIC dies. The two NICs in the bond are ideally located on different network cards in the server. E.g. not two port on the same PCI card.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!