[SOLVED] Ceph Nautilus to Octopus

cdsJerry

Renowned Member
Sep 12, 2011
I'm trying to update my existing Proxmox from 6.4-13 which was originally created with the ISO and has only been modified by updates, to the new 7. I'm frustrated that there isn't an easier way to do this. Once again the path forward in versions isn't very streamlined or user friendly.

I attempted to follow the upgrade guide in the Wiki from 6.x to 7.0 using the in-place upgrade but almost right away it sends me off to another page and tells me I have to manually upgrade Ceph Nautilus to Octopus. Why that couldn't have been built into an upgrade script is unknown to me. However I followed the link but was still unsuccessful.

I modified the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ceph.list as instructed and my file look like the example "deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/ceph-octopus buster main"

The next stop is to set the 'noout' flag which I did via copy/paste to a SSH prompt.
root@pve:/usr# ceph osd set noout
Error initializing cluster client: ObjectNotFound('RADOS object not found (error calling conf_read_file)')

So I'm dead in the water. My knowledge is limited and the instructions didn't work. As that was listed as an optional command in the wiki, I tried to move forward and ran the apt update and apt full-upgrade commands

W: GPG error: http://hwraid.le-vert.net/debian stretch Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY
E: The repository 'http://hwraid.le-vert.net/debian stretch Release' is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:14
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:14
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:14
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:14
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:17
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:17
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:17
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:17
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:19
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:19
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:19
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:19
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:22
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:22
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:22
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:11 and /etc/apt/sources.list:22
root@pve:/usr# apt full-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
pve-kernel-5.3.13-2-pve
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove it.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
As you can see, that wasn't successful.

How do I resolve these errors?

Well, I know that this will not help you at all, and sorry for that but when you say for yourself.

Code:
My knowledge is limited and the instructions didn't work.

Why did you not contact a consultant or service-company to do it for you? Why do you not have an Subscription which includes support from Proxmox? Cause you can use it for free, does not mean it has to be perfect or will work forever and in any case.

And consider CEPH is a whole System for itself and has low level, nothing to do with Proxmox. They just create it to make Hyper-Converged Setups possible. That does not mean, that Proxmox has options ans ways for every possible state CEPH itself could be configured in.

Considering your update problem. Before the update, CEPH-State in GUI or by calling "Ceph -s" was really green/ok?
By what you describe, it sound like there where already issues in your system, even before you start the upgrade path....

Regards

Well, I know that this will not help you at all, and sorry for that but when you say for yourself.

Code:
My knowledge is limited and the instructions didn't work.

Why did you not contact a consultant or service-company to do it for you? Why do you not have an Subscription which includes support from Proxmox? Cause you can use it for free, does not mean it has to be perfect or will work forever and in any case.

And consider CEPH is a whole System for itself and has low level, nothing to do with Proxmox. They just create it to make Hyper-Converged Setups possible. That does not mean, that Proxmox has options ans ways for every possible state CEPH itself could be configured in.

Considering your update problem. Before the update, CEPH-State in GUI or by calling "Ceph -s" was really green/ok?
By what you describe, it sound like there where already issues in your system, even before you start the upgrade path....

Regards
I wish my business was doing so well that I could hire all sorts of people but when the government forces a shut down of your company but your employees still need to buy groceries things get pretty tight. I guess it's priorities but I need to take care of the people who work for me before I start paying outside people. I also like to improve my own knowledge as I learn every time I have to do something like this. Thanks for the spanking.

I don't know what Ceph is or does. I was just following the instructions in the wiki step-by-step. I have now searched for Ceph in the GUI as I didn't even remember hearing that name before. I found it and it says it's not installed on this node and asks if I'd like to install it. Since I haven't a clue what it does and I've never needed it before I'm inclined to say no. Is it safe to just skip that step? The GUI shows it in bold type as something that must be updated before updating to version 7.

Well, if CEPH is used for your Storage, you need it on all Storage Nodes..... but without knowing your exact config, it is hard to say....
Can you post some screen of your working and none working host or nodes if there are more than one Proxmox?

Also consider that your easiest way might be.... create Backup of all VMs.... reinstall with Proxmox 7.x and restore your VMs from Backup after you configured Proxmox-Server....

We're a tiny company so we're just running a single machine without a cluster. It's just in standalone mode. I do have a second machine that's also configured but I leave it turned off. It's my safety in case something crashes such as a hardware failure. In that event I'd turn it on and restore the containers from the network. I was working on the update to the backup machine first as I figured I'd put the learning curve into that machine since it's not live and hopefully avoid some problems that way. It doesn't have the memory or the CPU of the machine that runs all the time so it would leave me crippled, but running.

Yes I've thought about starting from scratch and using the Version 7 ISO then doing a restore of all the containers. It would mean my servers would be down for several hours and I'm not thrilled about that. It takes just over 2 hours per VM to restore over my network which would leave my mail and web server offline for a longer than I'd like.

Since you mentioned storage I've included an image of the storage screen, the Ceph screen, and the Summary screen. If there is a specific screen image that helps please let me know.

Attachments

• Ceph.PNG
    Ceph.PNG
    47.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Storage.PNG
    Storage.PNG
    27.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Summary.PNG
    Summary.PNG
    64.4 KB · Views: 11
Ok, looks like just Storage.... so I would say you can skip every CEPH-related Update-Steps and go on.....

I went ahead with the update and didn't get any errors however it failed to update. As this isn't related to the Ceph issue in this post I'll start a new thread. Thank you for your help itNGO. I do appreciate it.

Reactions: itNGO

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!