CEPH monitor cannot be deleted when the node fails and goes offline !

zisain

Aug 5, 2021
1632993915545.png
Ask for help. You can't delete P3 by using CEPH mon remove. Mon can't be found in ceph.conf configuration, but it can't be deleted

If I understand you correctly, the node p3 is currently down? Will it ever be back or will it be replaced by a freshly installed one?

If I understand you correctly, the node p3 is currently down? Will it ever be back or will it be replaced by a freshly installed one?
Because the old machine has been destroyed, it will be replaced by a new machine, the name will still be P3

do you have any /etc/systemd/system/ceph-mon.target.wants/ceph-mon@*.service on the P3 node ?

I have see this when reinstall a node without formating, and the previous mon service file was still there.

Because the old machine has been destroyed, it will be replaced by a new machine, the name will still be P3
Okay. For Proxmox VE you should follow the guide on how to remove a node from the cluster if you have not done so yet. Also checkout the note at the end mentioning that stored SSH fingerprints need to be cleaned manually.

Since the old node is not present anymore, any steps regarding systemd services should be obsolete. The one thing you need to do manually is to remove the mon from Ceph: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvecm.html#_remove_a_cluster_node

Code:
ceph mon remove {mon-id}

With that, it will hopefully be gone :)

Okay. For Proxmox VE you should follow the guide on how to remove a node from the cluster if you have not done so yet. Also checkout the note at the end mentioning that stored SSH fingerprints need to be cleaned manually.

Since the old node is not present anymore, any steps regarding systemd services should be obsolete. The one thing you need to do manually is to remove the mon from Ceph: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvecm.html#_remove_a_cluster_node

Code:
ceph mon remove {mon-id}

IMG_20211001_170747.jpg

This command has been tested and cannot be implemented

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_170747.jpg
    IMG_20211001_170747.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 8

Code:
ceph mon remove {mon-id}

root@p1:~# pveceph mon destroy p3
no such monitor id 'p3'

Are they remnants in the /etc/pve/ceph.conf file? IP addresses, config sections?

Whatś the output of ceph -s? Depending on that, we will know where else we might need to clean up for it to disappear from the GUI.

I am having a similar problem, I have proxmox sees a monitor, but it has been removed by ceph:

root@virt01:/var/lib/ceph# pveceph mon destroy virt01
no such monitor id 'virt01'
root@virt01:/var/lib/ceph# ceph mon remove virt01
mon.virt01 does not exist or has already been removed
root@virt01:/var/lib/ceph#

But I still see it in GUI so I can't add a new one...

FireShot Capture 035 - virt01 - Proxmox Virtual Environment - 10.0.0.101.png

root@virt01:/var/lib/ceph# pveceph createmon --monid virt01 --mon-address 10.0.0.101
monitor 'virt01' already exists

root@virt01:/var/lib/ceph# pveceph createmon --monid virt01 --mon-address 10.0.0.101
Because we don't know where the configuration path on pve is, otherwise we can find it and delete it, but I recently researched and found that: pve will limit the cluster to at least a few osd and monitors. This problem makes you unable to delete it in the end. It means that the establishment of ceph on pve is irreversible.. There is currently no official solution

Did you check the hints mentioned ealier in the thread? systemd unit, still mentioned in the Ceph config? Is the directory of the mon still present? /var/lib/ceph/ceph-mon/*?

And what is the output of ceph -s?
There are a few places where Proxmox VE checks if a mon is present and they all need to be cleared.

Another thing that can be tried is to disable the ceph-mon.target systemd unit on that node: systemctl disable ceph-mon.target

@zisain What do you get if you run ceph mon dump on the remaining nodes?

but I recently researched and found that: pve will limit the cluster to at least a few osd and monitors
Do I understand it correctly, and you also have a few OSDs still lingering around from the destroyed node? If so, have a look at the Ceph documentation on how to manually remove OSDs from the clusters crush map: https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/operations/add-or-rm-osds/#removing-the-osd

ceph osd purge {id} --yes-i-really-mean-it

@zisain What do you get if you run ceph mon dump on the remaining nodes?

Do I understand it correctly, and you also have a few OSDs still lingering around from the destroyed node? If so, have a look at the Ceph documentation on how to manually remove OSDs from the clusters crush map: https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/operations/add-or-rm-osds/#removing-the-osd

ceph osd purge {id} --yes-i-really-mean-it
In the environment at that time, I have used ceph's command:
{
systemctl stop ceph-osd@0.service
ceph osd out 0
ceph osd crush rm osd.0
ceph osd rm osd.0
ceph auth del osd.0
} I completely deleted the osd, and because I couldn't delete the last mon, I finally had to rebuild the system. Later, I tested the problem with a virtual machine. I suspect that the pool was not deleted. I will test again in the future, and I will announce the test results again.

solution for me was to delete the folder:

Code:
rm -rf /var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-test/

Then from UI recreated mon and it failed with :
TASK ERROR: command '/bin/systemctl start ceph-mon@test' failed: exit code 1

and fixed with:

Code:
/bin/systemctl daemon-reload
/bin/systemctl enable ceph-mon@test
/bin/systemctl start ceph-mon@test

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!