Ceph in the same HD of Proxmox

Fabix

Jan 4, 2021
Hi,

I own 3 servers, each of them has only one HD. Can I create a ceph OSD in each HD with the space not used by the operating system? Or am I obliged to have at least 2 HDs for each server?

Thank you.

That really is a very bad idea. Is this just for testing? This will not give you a good demo of capability, and the performance would be awful for any kind of deployment. That being said, this should be doable, but not via the GUI. You would need to create the OSDs via command line.

Out of curiosity, what servers are you running that only have one HDD?

That really is a very bad idea. Is this just for testing? This will not give you a good demo of capability, and the performance would be awful for any kind of deployment. That being said, this should be doable, but not via the GUI. You would need to create the OSDs via command line.

Out of curiosity, what servers are you running that only have one HDD?

Yes is only for test. In PRO I have servers with minimum 2 SSD Data Center HD each one, but I'm sorry to have to waste a 1TB HD for just a few GB operating system. I would have preferred to be able to use them all with ceph.

Thank you.

Yes is only for test. In PRO I have servers with minimum 2 SSD Data Center HD each one, but I'm sorry to have to waste a 1TB HD for just a few GB operating system. I would have preferred to be able to use them all with ceph.

Thank you.

Fair enough. This should do what you are looking for with the partition method:
https://ceph.io/geen-categorie/create-a-partition-and-make-it-an-osd/

If you are using/more comfortable with LVM, use this one:
https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/man/8/ceph-volume/

Not completely unlike the method I used to create DB partitions on SSDs that I put in spare slots to deal with some unlisted SMR drives. Worked fine for what it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fabix

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!