CentOS 5.8 -- VE2.0 Mouse cursor alignment.

TimL

Apr 27, 2012
Eugene, Oregon, United States
I have seen several articles that somewhat talk about this issue but I cannot find any concrete process on how to resolve the issue.

First off: I am not very knowledgeable using linux as all previous solutions I have worked with were strictly windows based so go easy on me :)

From my understanding Proxmox (QEMU) utilizes tablet drivers for cursor alignment (From the wiki). These apparently are loaded by default in the global configuration file in what I assume is the bare metal debian install that hosts Proxmox. Also, windows apparently loads these drivers natively and thus the cursor aligns properly by default in the VNC console sessions.

However, in CentOS I am having a serious alignment issue which appears to be caused by the workstation cursor and guest OS cursor being at completely different tracking speeds. So as to say their tracking speeds are not sync'ed. What I am trying to discover is the steps required to resolve this issue and make the CentOS GUI usable.

1) Is the driver already installed on the system? If so, how do I check? (And what would it be called)
2) If the driver is not already in the guest OS what package do I download with Yum?
3) Are there any other configurations I have to make before it takes effect?

Also, the resolution seems to be locked in a 800x600 max. But I can research that one later.

Thanks for your assistance.

Okay,

So I fixed it and here is how:

Downloaded and extracted: evtouch-0.8.8.tar.gz

Moved the evtouch_drv.so to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/

In the xorg.conf I added the following lines into the Server Layout under the keyboard line.
InputDevice "Tablet" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "Mouse" "CorePointer"

Then added the two additional sections:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse"
Driver "void"
#Option "Device" "/[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][/FONT][/FONT]dev/input/mice"
#Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Tablet"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
Option "CorePointer" "true"
EndSection

What is interesting is it also resolved another issue I had not really noticed. You no longer have to click in the console window before it "activates". A single click will activate and select the item clicked on.

Now I just need to figure out the resolution issue :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Now I just need to figure out the resolution issue :)

change the emulated graphic card. see "Hardware: Display". try "VMware compatible' or 'standard VGA'.

pls note, you need to poweroff the VM and start again, a reboot is never enough. And of course, the settings inside needs to be adapted. I do not know if the centos 58 do this automatically, maybe do a new install with the right graphic adapter to check the settings.

change the emulated graphic card. see "Hardware: Display". try "VMware compatible' or 'standard VGA'.

pls note, you need to poweroff the VM and start again, a reboot is never enough. And of course, the settings inside needs to be adapted. I do not know if the centos 58 do this automatically, maybe do a new install with the right graphic adapter to check the settings.

Thanks for the tip. I did get it to work using an alternate method of configuring XORG to get around a defect in the generic adapter. I will probably be bringing up a second one and will try your solution then. Thanks again.

The path in the first stanza should be:

Then added the two additional sections:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse"
Driver "void"
#Option "Device" "/[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]dev[/FONT][/FONT]/input/mice"
#Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Tablet"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
Option "CorePointer" "true"
EndSection

Thanks TimL, your case was very helpful! :D

However in my installation was enough with add in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf Server Layout

InputDevice "Mouse" "CorePointer"

And only one InputDevice section

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse"
Driver "vmmouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ps/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

But you need specify the vmmouse driver what is in the "xorg-x11-drv-vmmouse.x86_64" package

yum install xorg-x11-drv-vmmouse.x86_64

Was in Centos 5.9

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!