Can't wipe drive & ZFS(8,4,4 fails to be created)

ZFS_Ron

Jul 8, 2023
I tried to format 3 drives (4TB, 4TB, 8TB) into a ZFS Array. This did not work.
I then tried to format 3 drives into the other array types. This did not work.
I proceed to format only 1 drive into a raid0 default drive. This did work.

Now I want to wipe this empty drive.
"error wiping '/dev/sdb': wipefs: error: /dev/sdb1: probing initialization failed: Device or resource busy"
1707973808561.png

I then try wiping it from the command line. This did not work.
"wipefs: error: /dev/sdb: probing initialization failed: Device or resource busy"

What do I do?
Here are my guesses:
  1. Get a new 4TB drive as ZFS does not work well with 2 different drives of different sizes.
  2. Wipe that 4TB drive that was causing the problem from outside of Proxmox.
  3. Command Line Magic that I could not possibly guess.
Your help is appreciated.
Thanks,
ZFS_Ron

is the pool you create imported? then you need to export/destroy it first.

in general, ZFS requires (approximately) identical sizes within a redundant vdev, so 4,4,8 effectively becomes 4,4,4 anyway (if you pass the flag to force creation, which is not offered on the UI for obvious reasons)

When I tried to create a ZFS array, I got this error.
command '/sbin/zpool create -o 'ashift=12' RG240217 raidz /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST4000NE001-2MA101_WS251LZ9 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST8000VN004-3CP101_WWZ1BP5T /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST4000NE001-2MA101_WS251534' failed: exit code 1

like I said - the UI doesn't support doing that, you need to create the zpool yourself on the CLI..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!