Can't select NFS for backups

Buckeyes1995

Jan 14, 2023
Good morning,

I have a Proxmox cluster of 3 machines; Under Datacenter, I've added an NFS share from my NAS. I can 'see' it from any of my server consoles. When I try to select the share as a target for Proxmox Backup (not PBS, just backup within Datacenter or individual VMs/LXCs' all I can select is Local storage. Is there something else I need to do to enable selection?

Thanks

You can also look at the config file (read, don't write) "less /etc/pve/storage.cfg" and look for a stanza similar to:

nfs: proxmox-vzdumps
export /mnt/freenas-pool/proxmox-vzdumps
path /mnt/pve/proxmox-vzdumps
server 10.10.20.4
content backup
prune-backups keep-last=10

As you can guess my NFS server is an old freenas box at 10.10.20.4 and the important line is "content backup"

I mostly use proxmox backup server although I like to keep the old NFS around because, well, just because.

The GUI solution looks like this:

Left pane "Datacenter", right pane "Storage", find your NFS mount, "Content" column should contain the unusual name "VZDump backup file".

You'll probably want to click "edit" and look at the "Backup Retention" tab while you're there. IIRC the default is keep the last 10 although there are a huge number of alternative options.

You can also look at the config file (read, don't write) "less /etc/pve/storage.cfg" and look for a stanza similar to:

nfs: proxmox-vzdumps
export /mnt/freenas-pool/proxmox-vzdumps
path /mnt/pve/proxmox-vzdumps
server 10.10.20.4
content backup
prune-backups keep-last=10

As you can guess my NFS server is an old freenas box at 10.10.20.4 and the important line is "content backup"

I mostly use proxmox backup server although I like to keep the old NFS around because, well, just because.

The GUI solution looks like this:

Left pane "Datacenter", right pane "Storage", find your NFS mount, "Content" column should contain the unusual name "VZDump backup file".

You'll probably want to click "edit" and look at the "Backup Retention" tab while you're there. IIRC the default is keep the last 10 although there are a huge number of alternative options.
Thanks, that worked.. I had to change the Contect type to VZDump..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!