[SOLVED] Can't mount Hetzner Storage Box CIFS

murda

Jan 3, 2024
Hi,

I have a Hetzner Storage Box which I use as a file storage for my Hetzner Cloud VPS (Debian 12). I'm able to mount the Storage Box on my VPS, but the exact same command on my PVE node fails.

My PVE node is a homeserver, installed with the official iso.

Code:
mount.cifs //*******.your-storagebox.de/backup /mnt/storagebox --verbose -o iocharset=utf8,rw,credentials=/etc/cifs_creds,uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=************,unc=\\*******.your-storagebox.de\backup,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770,uid=1000,gid=1000,user=*******,pass=********
mount error(115): Operation now in progress
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

I've also tried the alternative command:
Code:
mount --verbose -t cifs //*******.your-storagebox.de/backup /mnt/storagebox -o iocharset=utf8,rw,credentials=/etc/cifs_creds,uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=************,unc=\\*******.your-storagebox.de\backup,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770,uid=1000,gid=1000,user=*******,pass=********
mount error(115): Operation now in progress
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

dmesg output (filtered):
Code:
[82147.979375] CIFS: Attempting to mount //*******.your-storagebox.de/backup
[82158.330849] CIFS: VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation.
[82158.331411] CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -115

pveversion -v:
Code:
pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 8.1.0 (running kernel: 6.5.11-8-pve)
pve-manager: 8.1.4 (running version: 8.1.4/ec5affc9e41f1d79)
proxmox-kernel-helper: 8.1.0
proxmox-kernel-6.5: 6.5.11-8
proxmox-kernel-6.5.11-8-pve-signed: 6.5.11-8
ceph-fuse: 17.2.7-pve2
corosync: 3.1.7-pve3
criu: 3.17.1-2
glusterfs-client: 10.3-5
ifupdown2: 3.2.0-1+pmx8
ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-4
libknet1: 1.28-pve1
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.5.0
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.4.1
libproxmox-rs-perl: 0.3.3
libpve-access-control: 8.0.7
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.3.1
libpve-common-perl: 8.1.0
libpve-guest-common-perl: 5.0.6
libpve-http-server-perl: 5.0.5
libpve-network-perl: 0.9.5
libpve-rs-perl: 0.8.8
libpve-storage-perl: 8.0.5
libspice-server1: 0.15.1-1
lvm2: 2.03.16-2
lxc-pve: 5.0.2-4
lxcfs: 5.0.3-pve4
novnc-pve: 1.4.0-3
proxmox-backup-client: 3.1.4-1
proxmox-backup-file-restore: 3.1.4-1
proxmox-kernel-helper: 8.1.0
proxmox-mail-forward: 0.2.3
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.4.0
proxmox-offline-mirror-helper: 0.6.4
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 4.1.3
pve-cluster: 8.0.5
pve-container: 5.0.8
pve-docs: 8.1.3
pve-edk2-firmware: 4.2023.08-3
pve-firewall: 5.0.3
pve-firmware: 3.9-1
pve-ha-manager: 4.0.3
pve-i18n: 3.2.0
pve-qemu-kvm: 8.1.5-2
pve-xtermjs: 5.3.0-3
qemu-server: 8.0.10
smartmontools: 7.3-pve1
spiceterm: 3.3.0
swtpm: 0.8.0+pve1
vncterm: 1.8.0
zfsutils-linux: 2.2.2-pve1

Similarly, adding the share through the UI doesn't work either:

CleanShot 2024-04-07 at 17.35.04@2x.pngCleanShot 2024-04-07 at 17.36.10@2x.png

I've also tried temporarily disabling the firewall in my home router, but it didn't do anything.

I'm not using a subuser, and I've verified that Samba/CIFS is enabled in Hetzner Robot. Mounting works on the bare Debian VPS, afterall.

I forgot to mention, I tried mounting the share in a VM but I'm getting the same error code (115)

smbclient can connect using this command on my Debian VPS, but on my PVE node it returns this:
Code:
smbclient //*******.your-storagebox.de/backup -U ******* --password ********
do_connect: Connection to *******.your-storagebox.de failed (Error NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT)

Some more info regarding networking:

nslookup:
Code:
nslookup *******.your-storagebox.de
Server:        **************
Address:    **************#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    *******.your-storagebox.de
Address: ************
Name:    *******.your-storagebox.de
Address: ********************

I'm able to ping every address and dns name shown here

Unfortunately it doesn't work

View attachment 65938

Did you assigned that hetzner box to your proxmox server?
Otherwise i tryed to ping either first, that worked, i had this "not online 500" message once either, but then i tryed again and it worked.
Maybe a reboot will help?

About this Hetzner box, i tryed it earlier, half year ago i think, and its anyway somewhat unstable and crappy solution, however, i tryed it now for you and it suddenly worked, lol, maybe i was stupid half year ago.
And the second thing, i hope you passthrough the whole network card to your opnsense/pfsense, instead of doing this nooby and crappy solution with ip forwarding and nat on the proxmox host itself, like a lot of people are doing.
Because if you do that, then its surely an iptables issue.

Cheers

Did you assigned that hetzner box to your proxmox server?
Otherwise i tryed to ping either first, that worked, i had this "not online 500" message once either, but then i tryed again and it worked.
Maybe a reboot will help?

About this Hetzner box, i tryed it earlier, half year ago i think, and its anyway somewhat unstable and crappy solution, however, i tryed it now for you and it suddenly worked, lol, maybe i was stupid half year ago.
And the second thing, i hope you passthrough the whole network card to your opnsense/pfsense, instead of doing this nooby and crappy solution with ip forwarding and nat on the proxmox host itself, like a lot of people are doing.
Because if you do that, then its surely an iptables issue.

Cheers

What do you mean with "assign hetzner box to your proxmox server?"

Yes, I agree that Hetzner Storage Box is not very good. I only store media files in it and nothing critical which could bring my containers or vm's down. I just see it as very cheap and convenient remote storage not to put anything important on :)

I don't have opensense/pfsense... My setup is very simple and cheap, just an old 6th gen Intel laptop and my ISP's stock router.

My containers/vm's don't access internet by NAT/masquerading. PVE host is running in the default network configuration (bridged). Is that what you mean?

Although while typing this I suddenly realize my laptop is connected by ethernet to a powerline adapter... Maybe the issue lies there.

Ooh sorry, i missread, you have your proxmox server at home, not a dedicated proxmox server at hetzner.
did you enabled on the storage box "externe Erreichbarkeit"? or "external access" in english xD

I just tryed and added that Storage Box to my Home Proxmox Server, works either without issues :-(

Ooh sorry, i missread, you have your proxmox server at home, not a dedicated proxmox server at hetzner.
did you enabled on the storage box "externe Erreichbarkeit"? or "external access" in english xD

I just tryed and added that Storage Box to my Home Proxmox Server, works either without issues :-(

Yes it's enabled. I don't understand why it works on the VPS but not on my home server :/

I'm thinking it's a network related issue but I'm not at home so I can't set up a new device with a fresh Debian install to test if it works outside of Proxmox

CleanShot 2024-04-07 at 22.07.53@2x.png

Yes it's enabled. I don't understand why it works on the VPS but not on my home server :/

I'm thinking it's a network related issue but I'm not at home so I can't set up a new device with a fresh Debian install to test if it works outside of Proxmox

View attachment 65939
I had the same problem and it has been discussed before in this forum
I had a storagebox attached to proxmox and then one day it couldn't reconnect although all the login information was correct.
the suggested workaround was to login on Hetzner storagebox administration, create a sub-account and use the sub-account information to attach the storagebox back to proxmox.

storagebox-help-proxmox_02.png

then used proxmox shell and entered the following command
pvesm add cifs storagebox --server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --share "username-sub1" --username "username-sub1" --password password
and I got storagebox attached on my proxmoxVE
it works for me this way.

Last edited:
I had the same problem and it has been discussed before in this forum
I had a storagebox attached to proxmox and then one day it couldn't reconnect although all the login information was correct.
the suggested workaround was to login on Hetzner storagebox administration, create a sub-account and use the sub-account information to attach the storagebox back to proxmox.

View attachment 66010

it works for me this way.

I tried that too but unfortunately it doesn't work either :/

Did I set the Share correctly or should it be different with a subuser?

I'm still getting:

create storage failed: storage 'test' is not online (500)

1712587357160.png
1712587386018.png

I tried that too but unfortunately it doesn't work either :/

Did I set the Share correctly or should it be different with a subuser?

I'm still getting:

create storage failed: storage 'test' is not online (500)

View attachment 66013
View attachment 66014
i've added a line on my previous post after your reply that you can run from proxmox shell
pvesm add cifs storagebox --server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --share "username-sub1" --username "username-sub1" --password password

if completed successfully it will create and attach a storage named storagebox from server (ip), where the share name is the same as the username and it is probably fetched from the sub account information, with username and password. you can change the content setting from within the proxmox ui afterwards

Last edited:
i've added a line on my previous post after your reply that you can run from proxmox shell

if completed successfully it will create and attach a storage named storagebox from server (ip), where the share name is the same as the username and it is probably fetched from the sub account information, with username and password. you can change the content setting from within the proxmox ui afterwards

Still getting the same error.

Code:
pvesm add cifs storagebox --server *******-sub1.your-storagebox.de --share "*******-sub1" --username "*******-sub1" --password "********"
create storage failed: storage 'storagebox' is not online

Still getting the same error.

Code:
pvesm add cifs storagebox --server *******-sub1.your-storagebox.de --share "*******-sub1" --username "*******-sub1" --password "********"
try and use the IP for the storagebox instead of the domain and password shoud not be in "" just plain

Last edited:
try and use the IP for the storagebox instead of the domain and password shoud not be in "" just plain

Argh, I think I will give up now. I will reinstall Proxmox when I get home

Code:
pvesm add cifs storagebox --server 78.46.14.173 --share "****-sub1" --username "****-sub1" --password <password without quotes>

Argh, I think I will give up now. I will reinstall Proxmox when I get home

Code:
pvesm add cifs storagebox --server 78.46.14.173 --share "****-sub1" --username "****-sub1" --password <password without quotes>
check this post from blabbermouth
Workaround: Input everything but deselect the Enable box.
The storage than saves.
Then edit it and enable it an it works...
although it was fixed after version 8.0.3 and you have version 8.1.0

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!