Can't log in to VM Clones

ms daldam

Nov 30, 2022
Hi,
I am a newbie to Promox and the vm world. I followed a guide to sent up VM's via a template using cloud-images.ubuntu (focal current) and then add a Cloud Init drive. Everything seemed to have created fine with no errors, except I cannot log into either of the two fully cloned VMs.

I removed them (the cloned VMs) including the template and recreated them, this time not adding a password in Cloud Init and still once booted the VMs host names are correct, diff uuid #s are issued, but I am still not able to login.

I tried searching the issue on the forum but nothing directly pertaining to this. Any assistance would be appreciated. :)

1669831456897.png

Last edited:
You'd need to explain in more details what "I cannot log" means. I suspect your username and password are not accepted? However thats not sufficient to provide any advice. What did you set cloud-init to? Username? Password? SSH key? How did you try to login? What did you type? What error did you receive?
The screenshot you attached is not relevant to "login" capabilities. Cloud-init configuration would be more informational. Console view with error as well.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

You'd need to explain in more details what "I cannot log" means. I suspect your username and password are not accepted? However thats not sufficient to provide any advice. What did you set cloud-init to? Username? Password? SSH key? How did you try to login? What did you type? What error did you receive?
The screenshot you attached is not relevant to "login" capabilities. Cloud-init configuration would be more informational. Console view with error as well.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Wow okay....thanks.

-Yes, you are correct, I my username/and or password is not being accepted - error - login incorrect
-What did you set cloud-init to
View attachment 43968
-How did you try to login? I tried via the Console only..cannot obtain an ip address to attempt ssh.

View attachment 43969

qm set 900 --ide2 local-lvm:cloudinit
qm set 900 --boot c --bootdisk scsi0
qm set 900 --serial0 socket --vga serial0

The attachments are not viewable. You can also copy paste here the output of "qm config 900" using code tags, as well as "qm cloudinit dump 900 user".
Did you use username "ubuntu" ? If you dont set a password, then you wont be able to login at all. You must provide either valid authentication credentials or an ssh key.

The attachments are not viewable. You can also copy paste here the output of "qm config 900" using code tags, as well as "qm cloudinit dump 900 user".
Did you use username "ubuntu" ? If you dont set a password, then you wont be able to login at all. You must provide either valid authentication credentials or an ssh key.

I also tried ubuntu for the username, but it also gave "incorrect login" output. I did initally set a password when setting up the cloud init and that's when I first had the issue....appreciate your time.

Last edited:
Bash:
root@pve:~[B]# qm config 900[/B]
boot: c
bootdisk: scsi0
ciuser: admin
cores: 2
ide2: local-lvm:vm-900-cloudinit,media=cdrom
ipconfig0: ip=dhcp
memory: 2048
meta: creation-qemu=7.1.0,ctime=1669826743
name: ubuntu-cloud
net0: virtio=02:97:89:6C:B3:A7,bridge=vmbr0
scsi0: local-lvm:base-900-disk-0,size=2252M
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
serial0: socket
smbios1: uuid=b0d98535-96fe-4114-8985-06b7ec425692
sshkeys: ssh-rsa%20AAAAB3Nza
template: 1
vga: serial0
vmgenid: 881d10d8-7f92-48cc-bbb6-8bdbc47daae4

Bash:
root@pve:~# qm cloudinit dump 900 user
#cloud-config
hostname: ubuntu-cloud
manage_etc_hosts: true
user: admin
ssh_authorized_keys:
- ssh-rsa AAAAB3Nz
chpasswd:
expire: False
users:
package_upgrade: true

Last edited:
With the configuration as posted above, the only way to login is with an ssh key. I dont see the password being set anywhere. If your only method of logging in is via console, then you need to set the password. The username should be "admin".

Do realize, this is not PVE specific. You are using a Cloud Image that is used by tens of thousands of people daily. Its customary used with Cloud-Init that is utilized by millions VMs around the world.
Confirm your configuration is ok, make sure you know what you typed for the password. Use the command line to start the VM and then immediately open a console from command line. That will allow you to examine the boot log that might give you an idea on what could have gone wrong.
Code:
qm start [vmid];qm terminal [vmid]

hello
maybe someone can help me.
i just updatet my (debian) vm and since this point i cant login to my host. i tried it via console and via ssh.
ssh says: "ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.8 port 22: Connection refused" but this always works before
and the console gives me a login name: where i input my name and without asking me a password, it jumps back to the login name with the output "Login incorrect"

i did following:
Code:
qm cloudinit dump 500 user
#cloud-config
hostname: ioBroker
manage_etc_hosts: true
chpasswd:
  expire: False
users:
package_upgrade: true

thanks

i just updatet my (debian) vm
This is somewhat vague. A lot of things can be updated and many things could go wrong during the update. Its possible that you made a change previously that got overwritten by the upgrade, or a combination of updated package is not compatible with changed config file.
ssh says: "ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.8 port 22: Connection refused"
This indicates that SSH server is likely not running, perhaps failed to start. The cause can only be determined by getting access to the VM.
and the console gives me a login name: where i input my name and without asking me a password, it jumps back to the login name with the output "Login incorrect"
There are more than a few reports on the net about similar issues, ranging from suspect kernel to keyboard misconfiguration.

You can try to boot into live ISO, mount the root disks and examine the log.
You can try to mount VM disks directly on the PVE to examine the logs.
You can add a new disk, install OS, then mount the old disk to debug and/or transfer data.

Overall, the VM troubleshooting is independent of the Hypervisor and is out of scope of the forum.

Good luck

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!