[SOLVED] Can't get copy paste between Windows 11 host & VM to work even in SPICE

optical

Jul 5, 2023
Hello! I created a VM and installed the Win11 ISO on it, connected from a Win11 computer and used SPICE to connect. Preferences for SPICE window show Shared Clipboard as being enabled, yet still zero copy paste functionality in either direction

Is there some other things I must do elsewhere in either Proxmox, or some kind of SPICE console?

Thanks kindly

Did you install all the VirtIO drivers on the Windows 11 VM? SPICE probably needs the Windows equivalent of spice-vdagent on Linux, for copy-paste inside the VM. (I have no experience with the SPICE client on Windows nor Windows 11.)

Reactions: optical
Hi, I just read the guide, downloaded the .iso, ran the installer, completed it, rebooted the VM... and still nothing !

Ahhh! What am I missing here?

Shoot!!

in case anyone else ends up here:

Once you mount the VirtIO .iso and after you run the .msi installer there's actually a SECOND .exe file at the bottom called guest tools, which don't appear to get installed automatically with the driver toolkit themselves. Installing it manually now shows Spice related things being loaded!

After that completes, and a reboot, copy and paste is finally working! (Remember to do a fresh copy though on the host OS, old clipboard contents still did not paste)

Thanks again!

Reactions: VTF and leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!