Can't create new VM: no quroum

sam1994

Aug 17, 2014
HiMy VMs do not autostart and I cannot create a new VM (CT based on Proxmox 2.0). I once tried to set up a node but did not do so in the end. Here is my cluster.conf:
Code:
root@vmhost:~# cat /etc/pve/cluster.conf
I try and run pvecm nodes to see what 'nodes' Proxmox thinks I have, and remove them. I get
Code:
cman_tool: Cannot open connection to cman, is it running ?
so I try service cman start. Then I get:
Code:
root@vmhost:~# service cman startStarting cluster:    Checking if cluster has been disabled at boot... [  OK  ]   Checking Network Manager... [  OK  ]   Global setup... [  OK  ]   Loading kernel modules... [  OK  ]   Mounting configfs... [  OK  ]   Starting cman... Cannot find node name in cluster.confUnable to get the configurationCannot find node name in cluster.confcman_tool: corosync daemon didn't start Check cluster logs for details[FAILED]
My cluster.conf doesn't actually define any nodes, so I'm not sure how to proceed here. I just want to get Proxmox to allow me to create more CTs in the web interface, I do not want it to be part of a cluster.Thanks in advance

HiMy VMs do not autostart and I cannot create a new VM (CT based on Proxmox 2.0). I once tried to set up a node but did not do so in the end. Here is my cluster.conf:
Code:
root@vmhost:~# cat /etc/pve/cluster.conf
I try and run pvecm nodes to see what 'nodes' Proxmox thinks I have, and remove them. I get
Code:
cman_tool: Cannot open connection to cman, is it running ?
so I try service cman start. Then I get:
Code:
root@vmhost:~# service cman startStarting cluster:    Checking if cluster has been disabled at boot... [  OK  ]   Checking Network Manager... [  OK  ]   Global setup... [  OK  ]   Loading kernel modules... [  OK  ]   Mounting configfs... [  OK  ]   Starting cman... Cannot find node name in cluster.confUnable to get the configurationCannot find node name in cluster.confcman_tool: corosync daemon didn't start Check cluster logs for details[FAILED]
My cluster.conf doesn't actually define any nodes, so I'm not sure how to proceed here. I just want to get Proxmox to allow me to create more CTs in the web interface, I do not want it to be part of a cluster.Thanks in advance
Hi,
/etc/pve/cluster.conf don't excist on an standalone pvehost!
Can you delete the empty file?

And that cman don't run is ok.

Udo

I can't delete cluster.conf, even as root!root@vmhost:~# rm /etc/pve/cluster.confrm: cannot remove `/etc/pve/cluster.conf': Permission deniedIt shouldn't exist, but I think I once tried to set it up as a cluster. Thanks

Ran those commandsnow I cannot even login in to the Proxmox environment.Connection error 401: Permission denied - invalid csrf token

Rebooted, now gettingAug 17 12:41:49 vmhost pmxcfs[2468]: [status] crit: cpg_send_message failed: 9in syslog constantly.pve-cluster service is already running (have checked this)this is bad. We are in a production environment!

This is my df outputudev 10M 0 10M 0% /devtmpfs 798M 332K 797M 1% /run/dev/mapper/pve-root 95G 1.2G 89G 2% /tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/locktmpfs 1.6G 3.1M 1.6G 1% /run/shm/dev/mapper/pve-data 341G 65G 277G 19% /var/lib/vz/dev/sda1 495M 37M 433M 8% /boot/dev/fuse 30M 12K 30M 1% /etc/pve

Hi,
is cman now running or not?
because if you are an one-node-cluster you can get quorum with "pvecm expected 1".

But this sounds that you don't do all steps of the linked post (backup /etc/pve; umount /etc/pve, remove cluster files; reboot).

Udo

Had to restore the backup of /etc/pve to get containers booting againweb interface now doesn't show containers at all

I have written a message on your profile. I understand if you don't take support messages, but would appreciate the help hereS

Hi,
I guess because your /etc/pve isn't mounted?!
Code:
# on a single node
mount | grep /etc/pve
/dev/fuse on /etc/pve type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other)
ls -ls /var/lib/pve-cluster/
 84 -rw------- 1 root root  80896 Aug 13 22:17 config.db
 32 -rw------- 1 root root  32768 Aug 17 21:38 config.db-shm
140 -rw------- 1 root root 138368 Aug 17 21:38 config.db-wal

lsof | grep config.db
pmxcfs     2383            root  mem       REG              253,0     32768     164346 /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db-shm
pmxcfs     2383            root    4u      REG              253,0     80896     164056 /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db

/etc/init.d/pve-cluster restart
lsof | grep config.db
pmxcfs    17288             root  mem       REG              253,0     32768     164346 /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db-shm
pmxcfs    17288             root    4u      REG              253,0     80896     164056 /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db

# new process-id for the fuse-mounted /etc/pve
Udo

Udo has fixed the issue. Many thanks to him.Following his original link would have worked, however it should be noted when you mv /etc/pve to a backup directory, you should mkdir a fresh /etc/pve as restarting the service won't do this for you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!