Can't connect to the Proxmox webui: ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

nmac101

Jun 30, 2023
Hey, I'm new here.
For some reason I can't connect to the Proxmox webui. It says it timed out.
Can someone help me? Thanks in advance.

You need to provide more information:

a) is the power on? (For proxmox server)
b) can you see login prompt on the monitor? (connected to you proxmox server)
c) can you login? (using keyboard and monitor connected to your proxmox server)
d) is the network interface up? (ip a)
e) does it have correct IP that you know of?
f) does the IP match the IP of your windows workstation (ipconfig) except last octet?
g) can you ping from your workstation to proxmox IP?
h) what about the other way?
i) if you can ping , can you ssh (putty) from workstation to proxmox?
j) if you can ssh, can you run this from shell? curl -sk https://[REPLACE WITH PROXMOX IP AND REMOVE BRACKETS]:8006

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
Reactions: leesteken
You need to provide more information:

a) is the power on? (For proxmox server)
b) can you see login prompt on the monitor? (connected to you proxmox server)
c) can you login? (using keyboard and monitor connected to your proxmox server)
d) is the network interface up? (ip a)
e) does it have correct IP that you know of?
f) does the IP match the IP of your windows workstation (ipconfig) except last octet?
g) can you ping from your workstation to proxmox IP?
h) what about the other way?
i) if you can ping , can you ssh (putty) from workstation to proxmox?
j) if you can ssh, can you run this from shell? curl -sk https://[REPLACE WITH PROXMOX IP AND REMOVE BRACKETS]:8006

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
a) of course it is
b) yes
c) yes
d) idk what that means
e) idk what that means
f) idk what that means
g) no
h) no

d) idk what that means
e) idk what that means
f) idk what that means
What is the output of ip a when you run it from the Proxmox console (using the physical keyboard and display after logging in)? What is the output of cat /etc/network/interfaces? What is your local subnet according to your router and/or what is the IP address of the computer that you (are going to) use to manage Proxmox?

Hey, sorry for the delayed answer.
These are the outputs:
1688235927180.png
My subnet mask (I suppose that's what you mean by local subnet) is 255.255.255.0
The IP address of the PC I'm going to use to manage it is 192.168.1.2

My subnet mask (I suppose that's what you mean by local subnet) is 255.255.255.0
The IP address of the PC I'm going to use to manage it is 192.168.1.2
If the mask is 255.255.255.0 (or /24) and the gateway is 192.168.1.x then your local subnet is 192.168.1.0/24 and you need to use an IP address like 192.168.1.y (where y is not 0, 1 or 2 and less than 255 and is not in the DHCP-range of your router) instead of 192.168.100.2 for your Proxmox.

Last edited:
You should read bit about basic networking. 192.168.1.2/24 and 192.168.100.2/24 are not in the same subnet, so they can't communicate with each other without some router/gateway routing between the subnets.
So you either need to change the IP of your PVE host to a free one (and not part of the DHCP range of your router) in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (would be easiest to just install PVE again or alternatively edit all the network/DNS config files) or you need to access the PVE host with a client that got an IP in the 192.168.100.0/24 subnet (but then yourtPVE host still couldn't access your router so no internet access for updates and so on).

Last edited:
I did it! You guys are amazing! I reinstalled it with another subnet and it worked. Thank you all so much.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!