Can't connect externally to my minecraft server

lucasBR5

Nov 14, 2023
Brazil
Hello,

I'm trying to understand why my Minecraft server doesn't work when I attempt to connect using my public IP address. It's installed and functioning on the local network, but even with port forwarding configured, it fails to work when I try to connect through the public IP address. When I use canyouseeme.org on port 2456 (I'm using this port because a few months ago, I tested a Valheim server using this port on my work laptop, and my friends connected successfully), redirecting to 25565, it indicates that the port is still closed. The following images show the port forwarding settings on my router and container firewall. What could I be doing wrong? I'm new in the Proxmox world.

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png
Screenshot_3.png
Screenshot_4.png

Thank you in advance.

You set the source port to 25565. So you allow incoming traffic coming from port 25565 targeting any port. What you probably want is setting the destination port to 25565 and the source port to any, so all incoming traffic is allowed that tries to connect to your minecraft server on port 25565.

And you set the input policy from drop to accept. So all incoming and all outgoing traffic is allowed by default unless you explicitly drop/reject something using a rule. So your 3 accept rules are basically useless as anything is allowed by default anyway. Once it's working I would switch that back to "drop" so you can do whitelisting instead of blacklisting.

Last edited:
You set the source port to 25565. So you allow incoming traffic coming from port 25565 targeting any port. What you probably want is setting the destination port to 25565 and the source port to any, so all incoming traffic is allowed that tries to connect to your minecraft server on port 25565.

And you set the input policy from drop to accept. So all incoming and all outgoing traffic is allowed by default unless you explicitly drop/reject something using a rule. So your 3 accept rules are basically useless as anything is allowed by default anyway. Once it's working I would switch that back to "drop" so you can do whitelisting instead of blacklisting.
Right, I changed the rules and added the destination port on 25565 and left the source empty, but I'm still only able to connect on the local network. Any other issue?

Did you check if your public IP maybe changed in the meantime?
Is the guestOS running any firewall, like Minecraft installed in a Win VM where the Windows firewall is defaulting to only allow incoming connections from private IP ranges?
Or you try what every tech support will ask you first on whatever problem: Did you reboot your router?

Did you check if your public IP maybe changed in the meantime?
Is the guestOS running any firewall, like Minecraft installed in a Win VM where the Windows firewall is defaulting to only allow incoming connections from private IP ranges?
Or you try what every tech support will ask you first on whatever problem: Did you reboot your router?
My public IP address hasn't changed for a few months now; I check almost every day to be sure. Regarding the firewall, I'm running the Minecraft server on an LXC, so how do I check this? Also, I've rebooted my router a few times already, haha

Hey lucas,

do you need further help for your minecraft issue?

Kind regards from germany...
Hello! In the end, I gave up :(, because it seems like my ISP is blocking the connection. It's weird because I successfully set up a Valheim server using port forwarding (port 2456) on my work laptop. I don't know what to do anymore.

Hello! In the end, I gave up :(, because it seems like my ISP is blocking the connection. It's weird because I successfully set up a Valheim server using port forwarding (port 2456) on my work laptop. I don't know what to do anymore.
hey lucas, if u want we can check it together. I´ve builded 8-9 minecraft servers and i think, 4 eyes can seen more than 2 :)

Invite me directly via dm on discord if u want → bundledog

hey lucas, if u want we can check it together. I´ve builded 8-9 minecraft servers and i think, 4 eyes can seen more than 2 :)

Invite me directly via dm on discord if u want → bundledog
hello, i have the same issue as lucas here. i do not know if you guys are in contact but i would need some help in this aswell. i do have the same issue can connect on local not using my public ip. i did send you a friend request on discord

thanks!

Reactions: BundleDog
hello, i have the same issue as lucas here. i do not know if you guys are in contact but i would need some help in this aswell. i do have the same issue can connect on local not using my public ip. i did send you a friend request on discord

thanks!
Hi Termix, thanks for your contact via discord. Lets talk in the evening to check your system :)

Kind regards
BundleDog

I am about to set up a Minecraft server on Proxmox for my son and his friends, any tips on what to use?

They all connect via consoles (bedrock). Is it best to stick with that or set up a Java server and enable bedrock.

I've changed the DNS on the console to allow the Add Server workaround so understand how to do that part.

What are the pros and cons of Java vs Bedrock?

I plan to use Linux LXC, is any more compatible?

Not sure if anything changed meanwhile, but bedrock and java are different games and required different servers. Java is the original from Mojang and bedrock is the port by Microsoft after they bought Mojang. I always used the java one because of all the available mods and so on.
For Java I liked to use PaperMC with Waterfall on MineOS for the GUI/management on top of Debian in a VM, but MineOS isn't maintained well for years.

Keep in mind that Minecraft is a very old game that was never designed with multithreading in mind. So you need a CPU with very fast single-threaded performance and a very fast storage.

Last edited:
Not sure if anything changed meanwhile, but bedrock and java are different games and required different servers. Java is the original from Mojang and bedrock is the fork my Microsoft after they bought Mojang. I always used the java one because of all the available mods and so on.
For Java I liked to use PaperMC with Waterfall on MineOS for the GUI/management on top of Debian in a VM, but MineOS isn't maintained well for years.

Keep in mind that Minecraft is a very old game that was never designed with multithreading in mind. So you need a CPU with very fast single-threaded performance and a very fast storage.
He and his friends use PS5 and Xbox's and I just read mods need to be installed on client, so I think that limits the usefulness of Java for us, please correct me if I am mistaken on that.

I think I may be best to perhaps use the vanilla Microsoft Linux Bedrock server.

He and his friends use PS5 and Xbox's and I just read mods need to be installed on client, so I think that limits the usefulness of Java for us, please correct me if I am mistaken on that.
Yes and won't work as these are different games. If they use bedrock you need a bedrock server.

I think I may be best to perhaps use the vanilla Microsoft Linux Bedrock server.
Hi there,

if you want to create an bungeecord server via proxmox "for secure and protect", you must use

- Option 1: min. 3 (5 is opmital) Servers there are connected as lxc container
- Option 2: you create 5 vms on one server.

In Option 2, please contact me to help you to protect your server..... #SafetyFirst

Kind regards BundleDog

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!