Can't add bindmounted NFS datastore

jedediah

May 18, 2024
Hello :)

I'm trying to set up PBS on a NUC with storage on a NFS Share from my NAS.

Here is my setup :
- NFS Share on my NAS
- PVE on a NUC
- PBS as an unprivileged LXC container on the PVE

What I did :
- Mounted (via fstab) the NFS share to the PVE host.
- chowned the mount to match "backup" user of PBS (chown 100034:100034)
- Bindmounted the share to the container

For now, the NFS share is correctly accessed on the PBS LXC. I can see it in CLI, with the correct user (backup).
1716040200098.png

The issue is that when I try to add it as a datastore in the PBS UI, I get the "EPERM : Operation not permitted" error.
1716040251745.png
I even tried to chmod 777 the share on the host, and I can confirm that I can write to the folder via CLI.

Do you have any idea of what I'm doing wrong here ?

Reactions: gmcinalli
Hello :)

I'm trying to set up PBS on a NUC with storage on a NFS Share from my NAS.

Here is my setup :
- NFS Share on my NAS
- PVE on a NUC
- PBS as an unprivileged LXC container on the PVE

What I did :
- Mounted (via fstab) the NFS share to the PVE host.
- chowned the mount to match "backup" user of PBS (chown 100034:100034)
- Bindmounted the share to the container

For now, the NFS share is correctly accessed on the PBS LXC. I can see it in CLI, with the correct user (backup).
View attachment 68366

The issue is that when I try to add it as a datastore in the PBS UI, I get the "EPERM : Operation not permitted" error.
View attachment 68367
I even tried to chmod 777 the share on the host, and I can confirm that I can write to the folder via CLI.

Do you have any idea of what I'm doing wrong here ?

I'm facing the exact same issue, I have several NFS mount points for other LXCs and I have no problems with those, everything should work for PBS but instead it gives me this problem too.

Consider running PBS on the NAS hardware. It's kinda made to run bare metal.
I responded to your other post with a suggestion to run PBS as a guest using the TrueNAS Virtual Machine function.
Give it its own zvol. Let TrueNAS figure out the properties of that.
When you setup the Virtual Machine disk device, go into the properties and change Disk Sector Size to 4k. Do this before you install PBS onto the disk.
This all sounds like just lab stuff anyway. Give it a try. Use all that massive NUC hosting capacity elsewhere.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!