Can't access Proxmox from PFSense LAN

scallaway

Jun 15, 2023
I'm very new to Proxmox, PFSense and just networking in general, but I wanted to get my hands dirty setting up my own router.

I've installed Proxmox VE on a Dell Optiplex that I got, along with an 1Gig, 4port Intel NIC that was recommended by the PFSense forums. Installed PFSense too and that was pretty straight forward. PFSense is the only VM on the host as it stands (so throwing out and starting again isn't off the cards).

I'm so very close from a fully working setup, but can't for the life of me work out this final (what I feel should be simple) problem. Clients on the PFSense LAN can't access the Proxmox Web interface. I currently still have my existing network running (OpenWRT routers, but that's not important right now), and clients on that network are able to connect to the Proxmox interface when the Dell has an ethernet connection to its motherboard. So at least I can make changes that way!

I've read basically every resource I can find, but either they don't seem to be applicable for my situation or, more likely, I just don't have the knowledge to interpret what they're suggesting.

---

In terms of configuration, my /etc/network/interfaces currently looks like this;

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp0s31f6 inet manual

auto enp2s0f0
iface enp2s0f0 inet manual

auto enp2s0f1
iface enp2s0f1 inet manual

iface enp2s0f2 inet manual

iface enp2s0f3 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.10/24
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports enp0s31f6
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

iface wlx347de4b9db18 inet manual

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp2s0f0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
        bridge-ports enp2s0f1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

Where vmbr0 is the ethernet port on the motherboard, vmbr1 is PFSense WAN and vmbr2 is PFSense LAN. enp2s0f{0,1} both being on the Intel NIC.

As far as I understand it, this is about as basic as the setup can get such that I can have the two bridged adapters that I require and nothing else.

---

I have previously tried giving vmbr2 address 192.168.1.10/24 but that didn't seem to work. Then I read that Linux doesn't play well with specific IPs like this (I'm not sure why) and so tried changing the subnet of vmbr0 to be 23, but that only reversed the problem (couldn't access the web interface through the mobo, only through the PFSense network).

In its current state, I could probably use the router without issue (especially if I change the subnet), but it means that I can't connect to Proxmox in the event that the PFSense VM dies, which isn't ideal.

I definitely feel that I've just missed a step or something, but any guidance to push me in the right direction would be absolutely fantastic. Also, Proxmox has been such a breeze to work with, literally installed first time without any sort of troubles!

Just a cheeky bump since this appears to have fallen through the cracks.

I'm unfortunately still none the wiser so any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!