Can't access Proxmox after setting up a bonding

49zy

Oct 20, 2019
I tried to set up a bonding following this youtube video, basically creating a Linux bonding without specifying anything except slaves and mode (I used balance-alb as in the video). After applying the changes, I can't access my Proxmox installation from remote GUI or ssh anymore. I have physical access to my Proxmox installation, so ideally I could just modify the network configuration file and get back to normal. I tried several methods already, but I just can't access the file.

Here are what I've tried:
1. I've successfully set up GPU passthrough. But by putting nouveau and nvidia on the blacklist, I can't get video output after Proxmox finished booting so I can't get into the tty using a monitor. I tried to boot into recovery mood, but it's not working either and it stopped after showing "Finished kmod-static-nodes.service..." like the picture below.

FEB55BAD-2D90-45C0-9893-89093AE5DF85_1_105_c.jpeg

After booting into Proxmox, my router's manager interface says the server gets an IP address, but the ping was not successful.

2. I've tried to mount the partition directly from a Ubuntu installation on another drive. I followed this answer from this post, but I was stuck at the first step running vgscan, here is the error info:

Bash:
sudo vgscan
  WARNING: Unrecognised flag CROP_METADATA in segment type thin-pool+CROP_METADATA.
  WARNING: Unrecognised segment type thin-pool+CROP_METADATA
  LV pve/vm-100-disk-0, segment 1 invalid: is not referencing thin pool LV for thin segment.
  Internal error: LV segments corrupted in vm-100-disk-0.
  Cannot process volume group pve

I'm not sure what I should do next, but I think my problems can be described as,
  1. How to disable GPU passthrough temporally (without tty or ssh access to Proxmox installation)?
  2. How to mount lvm from another OS such as Ubuntu?
  3. How to reset the network configurations to default?

How to disable GPU passthrough temporally (without tty or ssh access to Proxmox installation)?
You could disable IOMMU in BIOS, then passthrough and autostart of a VM with passthough should fail.

How to mount lvm from another OS such as Ubuntu?
sudo vgchange -ay to activate the LVM. Then you can mount those LVs using the "mount" command.

How to reset the network configurations to default?
As far as I know there is no default config stored anywhere. You could use "nano" to manually edit the files /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf. What a default configs could look like is described here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#_default_configuration_using_a_bridge

You could disable IOMMU in BIOS, then passthrough and autostart of a VM with passthough should fail.

sudo vgchange -ay to activate the LVM. Then you can mount those LVs using the "mount" command.

As far as I know there is no default config stored anywhere. You could use "nano" to manually edit the files /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf. What a default configs could look like is described here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#_default_configuration_using_a_bridge
Thanks for your reply. I've tried both but still got the same problem.

After disabling IOMMU in BIOS, my monitor still freezes after showing " ...... is clean". And I got the same error when running `sudo vgchange -ay`

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!