Can't access Debian CT and few other issues!

Keanu

Renowned Member
Aug 11, 2015
First off, Hi all!

Secondly, i'm struggling to access my Debian 8 CT i've got running, I don't really want to have to remove / reinstall it due to having done a fair bit of work on it already. So, the problem started after I reset the proxmox box. All booted fine, and showed the "Connected to tty 1, type blah blah" then stopped. Didn't show anything after that. Odd. So I rebooted Proxmox again, and it showed the <vm name> login: Success! Not sure what happened before. Tried to connect to root (I've left the root user on the box for the moment whilst i'm working on it) and I get "Login incorrect", doesn't even let me type a password. That's essentially where i'm at.

Using Proxmox 4.0Beta-26/5d4a615b

Thirdly - Is there a way to dictate what type of VM I'm creating before I create it? I've only just found out that i'm using KVM (by the qm command) and well.. QM doesn't seem as versatile as OpenVZ, in the essence of, i'm not able to access the container.

Fooourth - Can you add / remove container users under the permissions tab on Proxmox? Or is this for something entirely different?

And finally, fifth, i've got my box setup with a "poor mans ve" Essentially running it all under a single IP, running on a NAT. I've forwarded the ports under the interfaces document:

Code:
        post-up iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i vmbr0 -p tcp --dport 1022 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.1:22
        post-down iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -i vmbr0 -p tcp --dport 1022 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.1:22

And can access it via PuTTY, however when I go to login using root, it just tells me that the password is incorrect? (yes, unlike above, i'm able to type the password in that way!)

Looking forward to your reply!
Regards,
-Keanu

Last edited:
Hi,

2) Reset the proxmox node means you rebooted your host machine or reset your container? When I'm correct you mean an container or vm.
Did you reset while making updates, did it hang or why did you reset it?

3) As we use KVM/qemu vor virtualization we "only" have KVM/QEMU VMs, you can create them witth "Create VM". The other one are (LXC in PVE4beta, OpenVZ is deprecated) Containers, which aren't VM's in the traditional sense. You can create them with "Create CT".
VMs are secure and more versatile as you can do everything you can to with a physical machine (to an extend). Containers are more lightweight though.

4) No, this is something totally different, you can add users for your Proxmox VE system, e.g: if you make an VM for an user and want that he has access to the web GUI but only can edit/view his VM.

5) That sounds strange, seems like it's related to 2) please elaborate what happend to your VM/CT

btw. for bigger distinct question you should maybe ask only one question per thread.
we also have a Wiki, where are some information already good described. http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page

Hi there!

2 - Reset it by clicking on the node, then top right, restart. (Under Create VM / Create CT, etc), reason I restarted it was because I added new lines (point 5) into the interfaces document. Wasn't making updates, all VMs/CTs were shut down too. (As far as I remember!) - Just a quick side note, I haven't edited the SSH info on this VM yet. It's fairly brand new, only created last night!

3- Ohhh okay. Sorry, I did a fair bit of research before getting to the end of my patience and posted this, didn't realise they were depreciated though. Is there a way to access VM's via QM? (For instance, from what i've seen, the OpenVZ command would be "vzctl enter <vm_id>)

4 - Thought as much! No problem at all! thanks for letting me know!

5 - Sadly, it isn't related to #2 as it was happening before hand. Not entirely sure why, haven't touched the SSH config or anything, just forwarded the ports in interfaces and that's pretty much it!

Apologies, I thought due to it being a fair few questions, it may of been a better idea just to pile them into one thread, rather than creating 4!

Thanks for your help!
Kind Regards,
-Keanu

Hi Keanu

I have had very similar issues with Debian 8 as a CT (Login incorrect or not showing login at all). I haven't resolved this, but I have been able to login as root via ssh.

The equivalent command to vzctl is lxc-console -n 101 (for container 101). However this will just give you the same console view that you see when you use the VNC viewer built in to the Proxmox WebUI (For me, sometimes I would run the lxc-console command and it would not show the login prompt for the container OS).

Because of the way Proxmox works, not all the lxc commands you'll fine elsewhere on the internet will work within Proxmox. Proxmox uses it's own 'wrapper' service called pct which I think is due to the way Proxmox passes the root password and network settings through to the container (as well as the filesystem itself, which seems to be different to most LXC implementations).

No real solutions here, I know, but hopefully it's comforting to know you're not alone! :)

Thanks for letting me know! It's exactly as you said, shows the same thing! Is there a way that I can bypass the authentication? Or to see what users are available on a container? I don't believe I created any other ones, but it's worth a shot!

Ahh, that's annoying, but i'm glad to have the lxc-console one, it'll make pasting code in a *LOT* easier!

Thanks for the reply!

Kind Regards,
-Keanu

//edit

Just an update, I THINK I may of isolated the problem. When I create a new user and use su - username, then reboot the machine, it restricts root logins. Now, the problem is, that user "doesn't" exist, in essence of, I can't use it to connect to the server. (Just a side note, when I try to use "su - username" it just comes up with $ and doesn't accept anything, unless it's "exit" - Odd??)

Any thoughts??

Kind Regards,
-Josh

Last edited:
Just an update, I THINK I may of isolated the problem. When I create a new user and use su - username, then reboot the machine, it restricts root logins. Now, the problem is, that user "doesn't" exist, in essence of, I can't use it to connect to the server. (Just a side note, when I try to use "su - username" it just comes up with $ and doesn't accept anything, unless it's "exit" - Odd??)

Any thoughts??

I tried the following steps to reproduce your problem:
1) Create new Debian 8 LXC Container from our templates
2) Start it login as root
3) Create new user test
4) Execute "su test" to login to the new user (works without password as we switch from root)
5) reboot the machine
6) connect to the machine -login as new user test and root works.

Tried it with the noVNC console and via ssh, cannot reproduce it. Did I miss a step?

Note: To enable root login via ssh you may have to edit your sshd config in /etc/ssh/sshd_config . Open it with an editor (nano) and find the line "PermitRootLogin without-password". Commet it out with an # and restart ssh with "service ssh restart" Now root login should work via ssh also.

btw. when you see nothing when you open the console, press enter one time to bring the login in the viewpoint.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!