Cannot Start VM - Exit Code 255

CCUK

Jan 18, 2018
Hi

I'm getting an error trying to start a new VM. There are only two VMs on the Proxmox server and one of them is running fine. However, when I go to start the new one, I'm getting the following error:

Error: command 'ha-manager set vm:101 --state started' failed: exit code 255

It's a dedicated server running Proxmox VE 5.1 with ZFS.

2x480 GB SSD in a ZFS Mirror for the ZIL and L2ARC
2X2 TB HDD in a ZFS Mirror
64 GB Ram
Xeon 4 Core (8T)

The VM that won't start is configured with 1 GB Ram and 1 vcore so there's plenty of resource avaialbe.

I'm fairly new to Proxmox. Suggestions on where to look first?

Thanks

In case it helps someone in the future, I managed to get around this issue by clicking on Datastore, HA. On the right hand panel under Resources, my VM was listed. I clicked it and then Remove. After that I was able to start the VM.

Not sure why it ended up in that state though..

In case it helps someone in the future, I managed to get around this issue by clicking on Datastore, HA. On the right hand panel under Resources, my VM was listed. I clicked it and then Remove. After that I was able to start the VM.

I know that this is old, but I registered just to say THANK YOU! for this!

THANK YOU!

You are the MVP!

thkz.

Thank you so much!!

Datastore, HA. On the right hand panel under Resources, my VM was listed. I clicked it and then Remove.
Hi. Not need Remove there. Just Edit VM and there state to Disable first. After - Started. It cleanup the state error.
Thank you about the way by TS.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteMox and pepex7

Thank you! Problem solved :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!