[SOLVED] Cannot Remove image. Guest VM exists! HELP

vanderlpp

May 18, 2020
Hello everyone
some time ago I put a hd in my PVE to use as HD storage for the VMs, but I had a problem with it, and it seems that it was corrupted. I tried to move a hd from a VM that was there and it didn't allow it. what happened was that it created the file in the other storage location, but it couldn't delete the current one. then the VM continued using the current one. but PVE got both files, in two different places.

OK! I created a new HD for the VM, and within the OS in the VM, I moved the data, or what I could, to the new one. DONE.

I don't mind the previous HD file, which was working. what matters is that the file created on the other storage was created and assigned to the VM, and now it's not in the VM's config, and PVE won't let me delete it.

Attachments

• Captura de tela 2023-02-02 123235.png
    Captura de tela 2023-02-02 123235.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 25
Hi,
you can either use pvesm free <volume ID> (double check to make sure you have the right one!) to free it directly or qm rescan --vmid 8001. With the second command, the disk should show up as an unused disk in the VM configuration and then you can remove it from there.

Reactions: vanderlpp
Always accurate tip coming from this forum.

the participants are always to be congratulated.

=======================================

Dica sempre certeira vindo deste forum.

os participantes estao sempre de parabens.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!