cannot prepare PCI pass-through, IOMMU not present

Homer-S

Nov 18, 2020
Hello,
my Proxmox Server was running for years and always the PCI pass-through worked like a charm.
Yesterday night I did a reboot and today I recognized my fileserver (the vm with the passed through PCI) did not start.

I did a journal log but I will not be smarter with it.

May I ask you for some help please?

Attachments

• log.txt
    110.1 KB · Views: 7
I tried it now with 5.15.30-2 and this worked
5.15.35-2 brought up all the errors ....

Jun 11 14:38:57 srv-proxmox kernel: Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15.35-2-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet
I don't see the intel_iommu=on kernel parameter in that log line. That might be the problem? Can you attach your /etc/default/grub?

Last edited:
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

That does not look like the /etc/default/grub installed by Proxmox (on the Proxmox host) and I don't think it would work with kernel 5.15.30-2 and passthrough. Did you remove GRUB and reinstall the Debian package? Did you copy the /etc/default/grub from a Debian VM?

This is exactly the grub file from my proxmox host which is working with 5.15.30-2 and it is working. I do not remember that I change something in grub I just added the PCI Controller to the VM conf file.
I did not change something. As I wrote, after a reboot (probably with installing new kernel) it stopped working.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!