cannot passthrough WiFi card

abayoumy

Nov 18, 2022
Hi
I have NIC built in on board and ProxMox bridge use it
i try to passthrough external wifi card but once VM is runing, all network disconected !

i found that WIFI & Ethernet on same IOMMU Group 10

│ 0x020000 │ 0x8168 │ 0000:05:00.0 │ 10 │ 0x10ec │ RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller │ │ 0xe000 │ Onboard Ethernet │ 0x1458 │ Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd │ Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. │
├──────────┼────────┼──────────────┼────────────┼────────┼───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┼──────┼──────────────────┼───────────────────────────────┼──────────────────┼────────────────────────────────────────┼────────────────────────────────────────┤
│ 0x028000 │ 0x818b │ 0000:04:00.0 │ 10 │ 0x10ec │ RTL8192EE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter │ │ 0x8196 │ │ 0x10ec │ Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. │ Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. │

recommended soulation for that ?

recommended soulation for that ?
Not a recommended one, as IOMMU group are supposed to keep devices that can communicate secretly together. Any work-around allows the VM to read all of the memory and passwords from the Proxmox host (and therefore also all other VMs).

EDIT1: The IOMMU groups are determined by the motherboard PCIe layout/chips and the BIOS. If it is a mistake, then maybe a BIOS update can change the groups?
EDIT2: I assumed you already tried moving the devices to other PCIe slots, which is a recommended way to fix this.

Last edited:
Reactions: abayoumy
Not a recommended one, as IOMMU group are supposed to keep devices that can communicate secretly together. Any work-around allows the VM to read all of the memory and passwords from the Proxmox host (and therefore also all other VMs).

EDIT: The IOMMU groups are determined by the motherboard PCIe layout/chips and the BIOS. If it is a mistake, then maybe a BIOS update can change the groups?
Thank you , i will try bios upgrade.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!