Code:
 Error: Host 192.168.255.38 port 5900 is not an RFB server
What does this error mean, exactly?

Hello,

When trying to open the console of a virtual machine I am getting:

Code:
 Error: Host 192.168.255.38 port 5900 is not an RFB server
What does this error mean, exactly?

means that the VNC server does not run. when do you get this error, can you reproduce it?

Tom,

Thanks for helping me earlier, I feel bad for asking a question that could be solved by reading documentation.

I can reproduce this. I've created another virtual machine and when trying to get to the console I get this error again.

Doing a ps auxwwwf I see these VM's are started like so:

First VM:
Code:
/usr/bin/kvm -monitor pty -vnc unix:/tmp/qemu-server-vnc-101.socket,password -usbdevice tablet -name Test -smp 1 -k en-us -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-disk.qcow2,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -drive file=/dev/cdrom,if=ide,index=2,media=cdrom -m 512 -net tap,vlan=0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/bridge-vlan0 -net nic,vlan=0,model=rtl8139,macaddr=6E:6A:9C:A0:13:64
Second VM:

Code:
/usr/bin/kvm -monitor pty -vnc unix:/tmp/qemu-server-vnc-102.socket,password -usbdevice tablet -name LukeTest -smp 1 -k en-us -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/102/vm-102-disk.qcow2,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -drive file=/dev/cdrom,if=ide,index=2,media=cdrom -m 512 -net tap,vlan=0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/bridge-vlan0 -net nic,vlan=0,model=rtl8139,macaddr=FE:EE:5E:75:36:7B

Tom,

I got it working by rebooting?

Probably has to do with init scripts, and apt. I am sorry to have wasted your time, yet again.

I have the same problem here
Error: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 100 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1
this is the system log gaved
how to do whit this
Tom,

I got it working by rebooting?

Probably has to do with init scripts, and apt. I am sorry to have wasted your time, yet again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!