cannot import 'rpool': no such pool or dataset Destroy and re-create the pool from a backup source

jon1

Apr 5, 2024
Hi, I am a homelab user. I am not a professional but feel that I am fairly capable by now when it comes to linux.

I have a 4 cluster system (and a corosync container on another system) for a 5 system quorum. My main two boxes are computers I bought from aliexpress. All computers have zfs and I do some replication stuff on a separate 2.5gb network.

The computer which spit that error is
12th Gen i5 1240P Mini PC with 64gb ram, and two 2tb ssd drives configured in a zfs raid mirror.

Things have been humming along fine for about a year, suddenly, I notice some weird stuff happening and when I investigated, the computer I mentioned above was completely down.

I connected to HDMI and it booted to initramfs with the above message. I tried to import rpool, to list rpool, to do anything but zfs kept saying there were no pools. I was able to see rpool mentioned, but it was noted to have corrupted data, one drive was unavail and the other was online.

I opened it up and took out one drive, booted it with one drive and same issue, switched slots and same issue.

I took the second drive and put it in, took the first one out, tried the first slot, same issue, second slot, same issue.

Finally, I put both back in but switched them.

Turned back on no problem.

SMART test says both drives are good in web interface and everything is up and running with VMs and containers migrating back like nothing happened.

My question is, any idea what might have happened? Any steps I can take to prevent it from happening again? Are there any deeper diagnostics I can do to drill down the problem?

Obviously I am relieved that things are working again but am concerned that this computer is a ticking time bomb.

THanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!