Cannot Access Proxmox Web GUI - Subnet Misalignment?

NetworkEntropy

Jan 1, 2024
Brand new here: I installed and am attempting to complete my proxmox server setup via ethernet but I cannot Access the Proxmox Web GUI.
I know it's a networking issue and I think maybe it has to do with subnet misalignment but I'm not positive and even if so, I don't know how to correctly configure it to resolve the issue.

Would appreciate any guidance that could be provided -I've included some CLI output screenshots to hopefully dial in on the issue(s).

Attachments

• Output1.jpg
    Output1.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Output3.jpg
    Output3.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Output2.jpg
    Output2.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 11
Which subnet is your client on? If it's another, is there a route in between?

Thanks for your reply and apologies, I honestly don't know (super noob).
I have proxmox installed on an old dell mini tower connected to my router via ethernet (I do have other devices utilizing this router too but only wifi)
I assume I messed up somewhere during installation?

What do you think based on the outputs and are there any other outputs I should run that would help narrow this down?

Your settings look reasonable to me. Can you ping 192.168.1.243 from that client? Can you connect to "https://192.168.1.243:8006" with a web browser on that client?

If not or if the ping is intermittent I would suspect that 192.168.1.243 is in the DHCP range your router wants to assign and so is being blocked by the router or maybe it has assigned that IP to something else and you have an IP conflict. You will have to look at your router settings to determine that. Usually the DHCP range starts around 50 and the lower addresses are for static (like servers).

Reactions: NetworkEntropy
Your settings look reasonable to me. Can you ping 192.168.1.243 from that client? Can you connect to "https://192.168.1.243:8006" with a web browser on that client?

If not or if the ping is intermittent I would suspect that 192.168.1.243 is in the DHCP range your router wants to assign and so is being blocked by the router or maybe it has assigned that IP to something else and you have an IP conflict. You will have to look at your router settings to determine that. Usually the DHCP range starts around 50 and the lower addresses are for static (like servers).
Negative, it always defaults to, "took too long to respond."

So I jumped into my router settings on your word and I think what your saying is right, I'm just not sure where to locate the appropriate area in the settings so that I can adjust it (I've included some screens of my router settings) Do you see any problematic areas and/or are there other areas in the settings I should be looking at/that I can post here for better clarification?

Also, I appreciate your patience and help! *With networking, one must speak to me like they're explaining to a golden retriever lol.

Attachments

• R2.PNG
    R2.PNG
    352.4 KB · Views: 8
  • R1.PNG
    R1.PNG
    233.6 KB · Views: 8
Also, that client setup is for wifi and I am assuming your wired network and wifi are using the same addresses as in a typical out-of-box setup from an ISP like AT&T.
Yes, I believe so, as the ethernet connection (from which the proxmox server is utilizing) is to the same router that all other devices are using for wifi.

Just because it plugs into the same router does not mean the wired and wifi are on the same subnet. It is a router and it, uh, routes packets. I do see a Guest Network tab and that is usually on a different subnet for example.

The DHCP server tab should tell you what range of addresses are reserved for dynamic assignment. The Network Map might tell you if there is a another device using the same IP. The Routes tab might tell you if there are other subnets.

I would change your PVE settings rather than the router. Less chance of messing up unrelated machines. If you need to do that use "nano" to edit the below files then reboot:

/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/hosts
/etc/issue

The DHCP server tab should tell you what range of addresses are reserved for dynamic assignment. The Network Map might tell you if there is a another device using the same IP. The Routes tab might tell you if there are other subnets.

Thanks, definitely helpful for some clarification.

I would change your PVE settings rather than the router. Less chance of messing up unrelated machines. If you need to do that use "nano" to edit the below files then reboot:

/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/hosts
/etc/issue

Cool, thanks and for sure I'll take your advice regarding PVE... so lol... when I'm in nano, how can I jump to the specific areas you outlined? Also, what exactly would I be editing in each one?

BTW, I will totally paypal you for your time as you've been quite patient and of course helpful.

Attachments

• nano.jpg
    nano.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 14
lol... man... is it that bad that nobody can respond? I mean like... obviously it's out of my wheelhouse but I want to learn/be able to understand it and I'm even offering to pay? lol... really?

So what have you done in the 2 months that have passed? Did you ever figure this out?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!