Cannot access GUI, CLI running ok

Fr_Grump

May 20, 2021
I've lost access to my web interface for Proxmox, and the only vm running on it is no longer working.
I can login using the cli.
I haven't run any specific vm or server updates recently that may have caused this, however I suspect there may be an issue with disk space causing this .
The last thing I was at on the vm ( Home Assistant) was testing out adding a security camera through Motioneye and configuring the storage . I got called away during this and never switched off the camera recording so I believe it's overrun the allocated disk space.
If I try to run apt-get update/upgrade on the cli, it hangs, with the message "working 0%" until I kill the cmd.
I have managed to delete a snapshot in the hope it would free up enough space to allow me back into the GUI to try and fix it, as I'm no ways comfortable using cli.

Running lsblk -o +serial lists the drives ok and running lvs shows around 73% od vm-104 -disk-2 used, so that may not be the issue at all.

As I've only 1 recent snapshot used (and no backup - didn't realise there was a difference until a while ago..) I'd rather avoid the full reinstall route if there is any other way to get the VM back running.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Have you seen any errors in the node syslog?

is port 8006 is open?

please post the following:

Bash:
pveversion -v
netstat -ltn | grep 8006
curl  -k https://localhost:8006 | grep title

This is all fairly new to me so I have no idea how to check the node syslog, so apologies for not being of much help.
Again I don't know how to check if the port is open on Proxmox. There is no specific rule to open it on my router, but it has been working fine up to now.

I'm using the cli on the pc that has Proxmox on it, I can run the 1st and last of those 3 command ok but cannot copy over the text, just a pic of the screen

Getting a netstat: command not found for the 2nd.IMG_20210520_151038.jpg

Hi again,

can you ssh into your Proxmox VE node? or maybe ping it from another PC in the same network?

You can check the syslog using journalctl -f (to show the recent syslog) or journalctl -b (from boot). If you don't have netstat you can use ss tool ss -4 -a | grep LISTEN

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!