Can you specify the # of backups to be made?

oeginc

Mar 21, 2009
I've noticed that the format for the backup filenames has changed in order to allow you to have multiple backups, however by default the system appears to only keep the most recent.

Is there some way to tell it to keep the 3 most recent, for example?

Or better yet, keep the past 7 days, and the past 4 weeks?

No, not for now ! proxmox currently deletes the old image automatically as part of the backup process.
My suggestion would be that you write a small shell script of "external rotation" which copies the current backup of the corresponding VM away to another place.
This shouldn't be so hard to do. I have the same thing on my to-do list but currently had no time.

create the vzdump config file:

Code:
nano /etc/vzdump.conf

maxfiles: 3

now, 3 backups are stored. but make sure you got enough space in your backup target.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!