Can you help - Proxmox on OVH dedicated server Debian 9 vm

Brad101

Oct 14, 2019
Hi there

I am hoping to find someone who has recently setup Proxmox using either OVH template or Debian 9 install with Proxmox installed over - and than procedded to create a Debian 9 vm.

I am new to dedicate servers - but have been using unmanaged vps for a few years now.

This is a step up for me and I have been going around in circles for a few days now.

MY Setup

I have an additional block of ip addresses - and all I want to do is create a Debian Stretch vm using one of these ip addresses (ha ha sounds like it should be simple)

I have tried

I have followed the official OVH guide - adding the MAC address to the vm before starting and than editing the /etc/network/interfaces (of the vm)
I have also tried a great many other suggestions that I have found while searching Google and up until know have not managed to successfully ping my vm ever.

Is there anyone willing to assist me, to get started ?

I would really be most grateful.

Kind Regards
Brad

Update - I have this working now.
It took quite a while to get this running.
I think the problem is that there are a number of different guides and threads all offering advice - none of which actually just work..
If you come across this thread - stuck as I was - you are welcome to reply and I will share what little I have learnt
All the best
Brad

Update - I have this working now.
It took quite a while to get this running.
I think the problem is that there are a number of different guides and threads all offering advice - none of which actually just work..
If you come across this thread - stuck as I was - you are welcome to reply and I will share what little I have learnt
All the best
Brad
Hi can you share with me how you did it because am using ovh master and I need to auto assign the failover ips to my vms automatically but I need to also assign the mac address for it to work.

Hi there
I do not know if it is possible to auto assign the failover ips - As you need to manually add the mac address - unless you try and use the same mac address for all your ips (there is an option to do that when creating the virtual mac address - right.. )

Hope you get it working

Did you guys figure this issue out? I have figured out how to bind a public IP on my proxmox host and a different IP(failover) on my proxmox guest(vm). Let me know how this goes for you.

On Proxmox Debian Buster Host my /etc/network/interfaces reflects the following:

Code:
# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0

auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet dhcp
        bridge_ports eth0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

And on my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS guest VM my /etc/network/interfaces reflects the following:
Code:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto ens18
iface ens18 inet static
        address <public failover IP>
        netmask 255.255.255.255
        pointopoint <public failover IP gateway>
        gateway <public failover IP gateway>
        # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
        dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8
        dns-search .

Anyone with Debian 9 insight please assist. I have several OVH servers and never have problems setting up VMs with internet using their guide. I've successfully and easily setup Debian 10, CentOS 8, Ubuntu 18 & 20, Windows with no issue.

I finally got Debian 9 to work on the network but for the life of me I can't extend the disk, so the template is stuck at the base disk size. I've followed 100 different guides with no success. If anyone has a Debian 9 template that responds to disk resize via PvE, I'd be super appreciative

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!