Can we rename lvm name ?

wasim.devops

Jun 27, 2022
1657899040454.png

Hello Team,

I have created new lvm i.e name as pve2 as per above screenshot.
So is it possible to rename the lvm i.e pve2 to other name ?
Please suggest/help here . Thanks

You can rename it, but not via GUI.
For syntax : man vgrename
Basic use: vgrename pve pve1
You will also need to update: /etc/pve/storage.cfg
And you may need to restart a few services to recognize the change: systemctl try-reload-or-restart pvedaemon pveproxy pvestatd

Keep in mind that you may have other dependencies where you will need to do a bit more research and few more steps.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Hello @bbgeek17 & Team,

I have added new LVM i.e pve2 from GUI i.e as per screenshot 1 & 2.
But I don't see its entry in /etc/fstab as per screenshot-3.

So do I need to add pve2 in /etc/fstab ?
or I can directly use as it is ? Please suggest/guide here. Thanks

Screenshot-1

1658248122608.png

Screenshot-2
1658248151624.png

Screenshot-3
1658247978457.png

It should NOT be in fstab. You can use it the same way you are using your existing storage - create new VM, point storage location to new storage object.
I have a suspicion that you may be wanting to do something else with your storage. Perhaps expand the one where you ran out of space? But only you can describe your goals.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Thank you @bbgeek17 for helping and guiding here.

As per your question i.e,
I have a suspicion that you may be wanting to do something else with your storage. Perhaps expand the one where you ran out of space?
Answer: No I don't want to expand the volume which out of space. Here I will use pve2 for creating new vms.

Hello
is the local-lvm same Vnmes under my result?

root@dell21:~# pvesm status
Name Type Status Total Used Available %
backup cifs active 9437184000 6171117216 3266066784 65.39%
local dir active 3715669632 119041408 3596628224 3.20%
nvme zfspool disabled 0 0 0 N/A
nvmes zfspool active 3771203584 174575240 3596628344 4.63%
ssd dir active 3598744576 2116352 3596628224 0.06%

This is because I added my server to the cluster, so if I change the name before doing that, can I use local-lvm ?
I dont see how cluster is related to your storage options
I cant say if you can use "local-lvm" - you'd need to tell us if your root disk is using LVM or if you plan to add another device that LVM will control.
I suggest that you open your own thread and provide relevant information there, including what you want to achieve.
Keep in mind that "local-lvm" is just a label, its not a technology type or special storage. One could create a ZFS storage and call it "local-lvm". It would not be wise though.

1712857162619.png

Is that pool NVME work like same local-lvm under the the installation of the advise

''LVM-Thin on top of HW raid would allow thin-provisioning, snapshots and all that without any filesystem adding overhead.''

Is that pool NVME work like same local-lvm under the the installation of the advise
The top left corner of the "edit" window says ZFS. NVME is just the label.

Think of it this way:
There are two cars. One is a Ford (LVM), the other is a Mercedes (ZFS). They both work in the similar fashion - they have wheels and drive on the road.
One can take regular gas (hardware raid backed storage), the other comes with a sticker "use of regular gas will void warranty". (dont use ZFS with hardware raid).

Again, I recommend that you open a new thread and state there clearly what your questions and concerns are. So far nothing you posted has anything to do with original thread from 2022

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!