Can VMs migrate live with process running?

jjc27017

Dec 14, 2017
Hi all,
I am running proxmox as Virtual Environment 5.1-35 with ceph as storage. And it runs very well as fit as my company. But I want to know the thing is do vms online migration can not migrate with the process running at that time? I have been set a group of HA and connect with some vms. When the physical server down then the virtual hosts will migrate, but they run on other physical node with nothing like restarted.

I know I can migrate after I hang the vms. And after migration then recover the virtual hosts can keep the process running. But the physical server will occur error and shutdown in some time I don't know. Please tell me how can HA migrate with hosts include their running processes. Or the function has not yet be come true?

As far as I known, the only way to to what you want is to permanently "sync" the memory image of the VMs on each nodes of the HA group. I guess it is technically possible but not yet implemented. And to do so, you'll need a network infrastructure correctly sized to achieve it without a great loss in global performance.

So right now, if you can manually migrate a VM before the host crashes (I/O errors, oom killer in action, whatever, ...) it is "live" and running processes will keep running. But if the host crashes when the VM is actually running on it, it'll be restarted, I mean like if it crashed itself including filesystems recovery and so on, on the next available node ...

As far as I known, the only way to to what you want is to permanently "sync" the memory image of the VMs on each nodes of the HA group. I guess it is technically possible but not yet implemented. And to do so, you'll need a network infrastructure correctly sized to achieve it without a great loss in global performance.

So right now, if you can manually migrate a VM before the host crashes (I/O errors, oom killer in action, whatever, ...) it is "live" and running processes will keep running. But if the host crashes when the VM is actually running on it, it'll be restarted, I mean like if it crashed itself including filesystems recovery and so on, on the next available node ...

Thanks for answering, so I think the vm migration is the same as lxc migration, it eventually restart the virtual hosts.

Thanks for answering, so I think the vm migration is the same as lxc migration, it eventually restart the virtual hosts.

That's wrong. You can online migrate a KVM host without downtime without a problem. This is not possible with LXC.

Migration (intentionally moving) works without a problem, fault-tolerant behavior does not (e.g. node fails and everything runs smoothly on another node without any disruption). In the later case the VM will be started, as the normal LXC does.

That's wrong. You can online migrate a KVM host without downtime without a problem. This is not possible with LXC.

Migration (intentionally moving) works without a problem, fault-tolerant behavior does not (e.g. node fails and everything runs smoothly on another node without any disruption). In the later case the VM will be started, as the normal LXC does.

Is there any ways that migration can also migrate ‘running processes’?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!