[SOLVED] Can snapshots of VMs be included in a backup?

LooneyTunes

Jun 1, 2019
Hi,

As title says I wonder if this is possible? I have grown fond of using snapshots when installing complicated applications, and some I know I may redo soon later etc. But I noticed a line when (finally) I was able o take my first backups in a while that VM-snapshots are not backed up...?

Thanks

You can snapshot inside the VM and the backup will then contain those snapshots as that is then on guest level.
But backups won't include the snapshot you do on the PVE storage level.

If you don't need super fast backups/restores using the PBS might be an alternative as with that you get full backups that doesn't consume more space than a snapshot.

Last edited:
Reactions: LooneyTunes
You can snapshot inside the VM and the backup will then contain those snapshots as that is then on guest level.
But backups won't include the snapshot you do on the PVE storage level.

If you don't need super fast backups/restores using the PBS might be an alternative as with that you get full backups that doesn't consume more space than a snapshot.
Thanks! Yes, I have PBS installed actually, just prior my PVE went belly up, so next I will re-integrate that, I was just kinda hoping I could do this meantime, but not possible then. I have fresh backups of the VM's now at least, most of them anyways. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!