Can Proxmox be used in a laptop with no virtualization support?

emb2095

Apr 2, 2023
Hello,

I have a Dell Latitude 2100 and wanted to setup a bare metal server on it. But in BIOS I found that it has no option to enable virtualization. Assuming that it is because the laptop has no support for it, I wanted to ask: can I still install the hypervisor on it?

But in BIOS I found that it has no option to enable virtualization. Assuming that it is because the laptop has no support for it, I wanted to ask: can I still install the hypervisor on it?
Yes but you can only use containers (and all the other features of Proxmox except VMs). Or maybe the virtualization is always on? Just install Proxmox and find out.

Reactions: emb2095
Black screen with cursor blinking on top left after 'Loading ramdisk' appears (and disappears). It cannot boot. Maybe I shall try with an older version of Proxmox?

Black screen with cursor blinking on top left after 'Loading ramdisk' appears (and disappears). It cannot boot. Maybe I shall try with an older version of Proxmox?
When running the installer? Then maybe you can install Debian first and then install Proxmox later. After installation? Older versions will not be updated, so maybe Proxmox just doesn't work on your hardware...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!