Can not reach my newly installed Proxmox from network

hussein abdi

Jan 19, 2023
Dear All, Am having this issue and have spent the whole day trying to fix but all in vain.

I have installed Proxmox VE's latest version on a DELL EMC Server giving it the same LAN IPs am using on my laptop which have to be given manually not DHCP.

i can not ping the IP I assigned to Proxmox and verse verser

Anyone who can support on this.

Dear All, Am having this issue and have spent the whole day trying to fix but all in vain.

I have installed Proxmox VE's latest version on a DELL EMC Server giving it the same LAN IPs am using on my laptop which have to be given manually not DHCP.

i can not ping the IP I assigned to Proxmox and verse verser

Anyone who can support on this.
Please post your /etc/resolv.conf /etc/network/interfaces and the output of ip a

Reactions: Lukas Wagner
with command nano /etc/resolv.conf ..
i get the result od nameserver as 8.8.8.8 which is the DNS of google I used when setting up proxmox

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-01-19 at 13.48.45 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-19 at 13.48.45 (1).jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 10
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-01-19 at 13.48.45.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-19 at 13.48.45.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 10
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-01-19 at 16.45.53.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-19 at 16.45.53.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 10
Looks like you have a problem with the cabling. Can you try to use a laptop and direct connect it to the proxmox host and set on both sites a ip for example: laptop: 192.168.110.2/24 and the proxmox host: 192.168.110.3/24 no gateway and try to ping.

Are you sure the ip-subnet 172.20.0.0/24 is correct for you and is fitting your local network?

Your vmbr0 with the IP on it uses eno1np0, but that has NO-CARRIER.

So as jsterr already said: Check your cabling and ports on both sides.

i setup a new Linksys router and gave it a static IP from our main layer 3 switched which is 172.20.0.1/24 network and the router is giving out 192.168.1.0/24 network

My laptop is given 192.168.1.100/24 but the Proxpox server is getting 192.168.100.2/24 which seems wired to me.

to test if the issue is the server I removed the cable and tried to do a fresh install of proxmox and was given the same IP of 192.168.100.2/24

Is this the default IP of Proxmox as there is no cable connected to the server and I thought it will not continue the install without internet cable.

Please advice!

to test if the issue is the server I removed the cable and tried to do a fresh install of proxmox and was given the same IP of 192.168.100.2/24

Is this the default IP of Proxmox as there is no cable connected to the server

Correct.
If there is an active network connection and a DHCP-server present, the installer tries to get all relevant IP-addresses from it and pre-fills them out in the network tab.
If that fails for whatever reason, it will fallback to that default IP-addresses.

My laptop is given 192.168.1.100/24

Give the PVE an free IP from that subnet and set the rest accordingly during the installation and it should work.

(Better have a working network cable plugged in and an active/ready to go connection, before booting the ISO.)

guys thanks a lot my issue was as said earlier I did not have a proper connection to the server,

I connected all the ethernet ports on the server to the new router I set up and did a fresh install of the proxmox this time it picked the IP subnet as my laptop. great, it is working and I can also ping the IP from my laptop at the same time access the URL of the proxmox IP from the browser..

THanks guys a bunch

Reactions: Neobin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!