Can I install proxmox VE without a graphics card?

dns2utf8

Feb 3, 2023
Hi all

The system I am working with does not have a GPU installed. Is there a way to setup proxmox VE without the graphical interface?

Best, Stefan

If you can't get any graphical output whatsoever, it is probably easiest to temporarily install a gpu, do the proxmox install and remove the gpu. Or you could remove the disk from the machine, install proxmox on the disk via a different computer (installing the disk in a different computer, installing proxmox, removing the disk and reinstalling it in your machine).

The other solution is doing a headless install: install debian headlessly (there are plenty of guides online if you are struggling) and then install proxmox on that base debian system. Here some resources on that. Make sure to install the current debian version (debian 11 bullseye as of writing).

unattended proxmox install (quite old wiki entry)
installing proxmox on debian 11
fully automatic installation of debian

If you can't get any graphical output whatsoever, it is probably easiest to temporarily install a gpu, do the proxmox install and remove the gpu. Or you could remove the disk from the machine, install proxmox on the disk via a different computer (installing the disk in a different computer, installing proxmox, removing the disk and reinstalling it in your machine).

The other solution is doing a headless install: install debian headlessly (there are plenty of guides online if you are struggling) and then install proxmox on that base debian system. Here some resources on that. Make sure to install the current debian version (debian 11 bullseye as of writing).

unattended proxmox install (quite old wiki entry)
installing proxmox on debian 11
fully automatic installation of debian
Hi, could you plz answer this thread. I even can not run proxmox without monitor. https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-7-1-cant-boot-if-screen-unppluged.100526/
Thank you!

Hi Leo,

As a heads-up: it is not good forum etiquette to hijack a post, especially since this is not related. I'll try to help you in the other thread, though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!